• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My horn project

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldsarge

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I am still working on this horn but just wanted to share what I have so far.

horn14.jpg

horn16.jpg

horn1.jpg

horn15.jpg

horn13.jpg

Very nice horn osarge, I like the mellow creamy colors.Good scrim work.I just hatched an idea, when I first looked at the wood plug and the design on it I thought it was a loading block. It would save space and be one less thing to misplace if they could be incorporated together. Just a thought. Wild Eagle

HMMM??? thats not a half bad Ideeeer :hmm: I mean ugh yeah thats what it's going to be of course...good to see you picked up on my genius plan. "where's that dern drill???"

Okay so I have noticed that when people on this forum like something they say so. Sooo as no one is commenting on my horn I can only assume there is something wrong with it. What is it? Don't be a sissy tell me how ya feel. I love constructive criticism. :grin:

:hatsoff: Nice! What method did you use to flatten the sides?
Soggy

I just orderred some horns myself and I am also thinking of making a flat one. I would think it will be easy to carry in my coat pocket while hunting. How did you flatten it? Did you boil it in oil or water?
BillK :hatsoff:

oldsarge said:
Okay so I have noticed that when people on this forum like something they say so. Sooo as no one is commenting on my horn I can only assume there is something wrong with it. What is it? Don't be a sissy tell me how ya feel. I love constructive criticism. :grin:

I missed seeing it :redface: that`s really cool, i like everything about it. :thumbsup:

Nice horn, you do good work. What are you going to use for the plug

I will probably carve a guitar tuner style plug out of hickory. I think those look realy nice and feel pretty good too.

Nice! What method did you use to flatten the sides?

I boiled it in water then used two flat boards and some clamps to hold it flat with the end cap installed. I waited about 24hours for it to completely dry before removing the clamps. I learned the hard way that if you don't clamp it and wait for it to completely dry it will try to go back to being round. I have also heard you can boil them in oil but haven't tried it. Nor have I read any books on how to do it. I just went for it. probably because I have A.D.D and no patience :haha: :rotf:

Thanks for the positive comments everybody I was begining to wonder if I did a ugly job.

How long did you boil it for? Did you add it after the water was boilling or from the beginning?
Thanks
Billk

How long did you boil it for? Did you add it after the water was boilling or from the beginning?
Thanks
Billk

probably boiled it for an hour, added it after the water was already boiling. I remember that it smelled kinda bad. :barf:

Nice looking horn. The scrim looks good. :hatsoff: I like the tuner idea for the plug. I think it'll match the flat shape of the horn nicely.

Hey the only reason I hadn't said anything about it is I hadn't seen it yet! :blah:
I like it! I always like something different, that's what makes us all unique! In some of they just describe that as (touched)! :rotf: :rotf: :blah: :rotf: :rotf:
Great piece Oldsarge! If its still in works I don't know if I can stand the finished product, but I'll try, :rotf: :grin: keep us posted!!

oldsarge said:
I have also heard you can boil them in oil but haven't tried it. Nor have I read any books on how to do it.

The boiling in oil is just a quicker way to acomplish what you've already got going. The reason some folks like oil is because it gets a lot hotter than water and will saturate the horn well. You have to be careful though because it'll "cook" your horn if you're not real careful. It only takes a few minutes in oil to do what you did in an hour with the water. Be very careful using oil because of flammability. I've been flattening horns for 30 years and still use water. My wife gave me her asparagus cooker and it works great on a single electric burner in the shop! Keep up the good work. It's a pleasure to scrim on a flat horn! Looks great!

Ron

ricktwin said:
oldsarge said:
I have also heard you can boil them in oil but haven't tried it. Nor have I read any books on how to do it.

The boiling in oil is just a quicker way to acomplish what you've already got going. The reason some folks like oil is because it gets a lot hotter than water and will saturate the horn well. You have to be careful though because it'll "cook" your horn if you're not real careful. It only takes a few minutes in oil to do what you did in an hour with the water. Be very careful using oil because of flammability. I've been flattening horns for 30 years and still use water. My wife gave me her asparagus cooker and it works great on a single electric burner in the shop! Keep up the good work. It's a pleasure to scrim on a flat horn! Looks great!

Ron

If your going to use the hot oil method, the optimum oil temp is 325, use a candy thermometer to read the temp either in a deep pot on the stove or your fry daddy,(dont trust the heat setting on an electric fryer) as said above, check the horn often to see if its pliable enough to work it, this method works well , especially with older dryer horns, another tip, if your going to use a fry daddy and expect to make a couple horns or more a year, use vegtable shortening as your fry medium, after it cools it will return to a solid and make accidental spills nill during storage and or transport.

Old sarge, are you going to the rondy next weekend( Memorial day) at paul bunyon in puyallup? if so look me up in traders row, Ladysmith Trading, were traveling light to this one and Ill have a baker and fly set up, not dragging all the goodies this time, Beav

Latest posts

Back