• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My first picture

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Fitzgibbon

40 Cal.
Reaction score
DSCN0441.jpg

This is my GPR kit.No stain, just Tung oil.

Fly :v

Ya Lyman Great Plains kit.The wood on these rifles
is euro walnut & just needed real tung oil
to bring out the the grains of the wood.

I used no stain to make it dark, just tung oil.
I slow rust blued barrel,trigger gard & butt plate.

Polished ramrod holder & nose cap.

Fly :hmm:

You did a really nice job. Your rifle looks great! :thumbsup:
Plus you posted photos! :hatsoff:

If I were you I would ignore all the advise from our :hmm: “experts” and just shoot your gun instead of using tooth paste or valve grinding compound, or whatever else, to hasten up the barrel wear in.
But that's just me, besides shooting is way more fun than grinding! :grin:

I agree with ebiggs... don't risk an otherwise good barrel with a bunch of abrasives which could well do more harm than good. give it a few hunfred shots and then see how it likes the load syou feed it... for best accuracy (from my own experience) check out Dutch Schoultz' monograph - money very well spent!

I agree that valve grinding or even lapping coumpound should not be used on a new barrel to "hasten up " the breakin. But a little tooth paste won't hurt and will even help to polish the bore. And it will prevent cavities as well. :blah: :blah:

Very nice. I love the grain lines on the butt part of the stock. I have never owned a GPR but a friend has one and loves it. I have never heard anything but "good stuff" about them.

NICE JOB FLY!!!
hey man really.... you have to change the nipple on that thing. do not attempt to use the lyman nipple. you will get nothing but misfires as the cap does not seat all the way down. it takes the hammer hitting it once to seat the cap (misfire) and then the second hit to make it go off... i got some spit fires from Dixie Gun Works and they are great. i have yet to have a misfire with those nipples... heres the link: SpitFires
really i cant say it enough... replace that nipple before you go shooting. you will be really disappointed if you dont...
also, i was using goex ffg 100 grains with .53 rounds and .15 patches and the gun gets filthy after 3 or 4 rounds fired through it. i was talking to the range master and hes a big blackpowder shooter and he said to try triple 7 powder. he said it was cleaner and burned more evenly. im going to take his advice as the goex powder is so dirty.
i found that the first round was pretty accurate but after that the round would go all over the place because the barrel was so dirty. i was cleaning it after 3 shots and the last two were all over the place at 50 yards. once i cleaned the barrel i could get pretty good accuracy out of the gpr on the first shot.
i spent all day at the range today and i have to admit i am not thrilled with the accuracy of my gpr. maybe the barrel needs to be broken in, maybe its the powder, or balls, or patches but i was getting about 6 inch groups at 50 yards and i would like to get something a little closer together than that.
aside from that i had a blast. the boom is awesome and the recoil is not exhausting.
heres a link to the powder that was recommended to me. Powder
Let us know how your first day out goes. im really curious to see what kind of groups you get with you rifle.
ryz

Nice job Fly. You have a nice piece of wood there.I think it came out good without the stain of any kind.Just shoot it to break it in,you will have a hundred shots out of it in no time.At least that is what they say that it needs to break it in.I didn't find that with mine though.It shoots touching holes at 50 yards right from the start from the bench.I can't shoot that well off hand so therefore,I see no need in trying to fix something that isn't broke.I have two GPR's and they both shoot great.But of course,when you're good,you're good. :wink:

Fly: I don't consider myself an expert by any means. I've had a couple of GPRs over the years and it seemed the more I shot them the more accurate they became. Ross Seyfried recommended taking about 50 strokes with a piece of purple 3M abrasive pad wrapped around a worm.
Your results might vary. In my experience, GPRs are hunting accurate right out of the box.

Thanks guy's!As far as the nipple I just chucked
it up in my lathe & took a small amount of the
taper off with a file.

I'm talking ten sec is all.You can do the same
in a drill press or even a hand drill.I have shot
maybe 25 shots so far & no trouble.

So don't throw that nipple away, just rework it some.I also carry a zip lock bag with cleaning
patch just dampened with a little moose milk &
& swab the bore after each shot.

Your right about Goex it very dirty stuff.I have
been shoting muzzle loaders for many years.The
reason I like to swab the bore after each shot,
no matter what powder is consistency.

Making up those cleaning patches ahead really
makes it easy at the range.My gun is starting
to group better, but I still have some work to
do yet.

Thanks guy's for the nice comment's & advice.

Fly :)

Back