• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My first Enfield or military style long Gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to have a Parker Hale 1858 2 band Enfield. In Britain they were classed as a 'Navy Rifle', the smaller musketoon being the artillery rifle in the 1850's - 60's. Everyone has their own standard when it comes to calling a gun a 'fantasy' gun. I personally don't like the term as it has a sniff of ridicule or contempt about it, and by my standard a fantasy gun would have to be so far removed from anything original that it would be difficult to say what it's original provenance was. Judging by the photos, I would say this looks very close to the original Navy Rifle made by Enfield. Enjoy it; I foolishly sold mine in 1995 and wish I hadn't.

Last edited:
Well here's what they're capable of if you take time for load development-

This was a 4 shot group with the 4th being a flyer when the nipple broke. There was a run of musket nipples with improper heat treating and they tend to break off right at the base of the cone. This is a well known problem in the N-SSA and it's going to be a while before they're completely out of the supply chain. BUT, the first three shots went into one hole.
62ColtMooseIntl.jpg

Posted this before but it's the Rapine version of the "Trashcan". Load is 44g 3f Old E, RWS caps, "Len's" lube. Five shots into that hole. The bottom hole is from another load I was trying on a target immediately below this one. Obviously, with that kind of flyer, it was abandoned pretty quick.
62Colttrashcan.jpg

Hogdon style minie
rcbshogdon.jpg

Left Lyman 575213, Middle RCBS 575-500, Right Rapine "Trashcan"
20170420_221312.jpg

First let me apologize, I have never taken photos of the inside of a barrel an honestly do not know how to do that correctly. I also do not know how to tell if there is a liner or progressive depth rifling.
I can feel rifling in the barrel at the end. I sent Chiappa an email for info on this rifle so hopefully they can give some insight. Thank you
It appears to be lined. It should be an excellent shooter with the right bullet/charge combination. I will be surprised if you get a clear answer from Chiappa.

Still waiting to hear if @New Hampshire tested his barrel with a magnet.
I think the debate on stainless was over many posts ago. Since that initial time, I have certainly learned a lot about the origins of this repro, design etc. We still have many questions, but a few posters have been able to supply good information.

The Enfield 1858 and the 1855 Harpers Ferry Rifles (specific model, not to be confused with the M1855 musket) were 2-band. During the ACW a lot of 3-band guns were also cut down to make the shorter 2-band artillary rifles. Many of the 2-band repros mimic those.
Do you have a background here on these cut down 3 band guns - I am not familiar with such efforts during the ACW …

Nice musket !!
Drop a shinny pistol cartridge 'bullet down' the bore & shine a bright led light down the bore 'or'
drop a lighted arrow nock down the bore to illuminate it.
Can also purchase interior or exterior bore lights at sporting goods stores or on Amazon.
It may be just me, but I use a flashlight that can focus down into a narrow point, one of the modern hi-tech ones; then I can shine it down the bore and see all the way to the end simply by "peering down" there; I don't care to drop stuff into the bore, esp. if it's not by gun. Try it! BTW, I have on my belt when I go to shows, a small nipper to cut the plastic "tie" if it's gonna be secured by the guards at the door; people want to see the condition of the bore. Also, I have a small hi-tech flashlight for viewing bores, as well.

Back