• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My first Enfield or military style long Gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Colt Signature Series M1861 Special repro and the OP's gun is not the same as mine. Several notable differences: mine is three-band (w/ longer barrel as appropriate), there's a Sam Colt signalture engraved on the trigger guard, and there's "STEEL" stamped on the barrel under the proof marks.
All originals were made as three band, the whole two band artillery model is sort of a made up deal. Colt sold the Colt repros, Chattahoochie sold the Amoskeag and LG&Y repros.

All originals were made as three band, the whole two band artillery model is sort of a made up deal. Colt sold the Colt repros, Chattahoochie sold the Amoskeag and LG&Y repros.
So the Colt was sold as an M1881. Do you know if the Amoskeag was sold as an Enfield? The original owner said this was an Enfield or sold as one.

First let me apologize, I have never taken photos of the inside of a barrel an honestly do not know how to do that correctly. I also do not know how to tell if there is a liner or progressive depth rifling.
I can feel rifling in the barrel at the end. I sent Chiappa an email for info on this rifle so hopefully they can give some insight. Thank you
Nice musket !!
Drop a shinny pistol cartridge 'bullet down' the bore & shine a bright led light down the bore 'or'
drop a lighted arrow nock down the bore to illuminate it.
Can also purchase interior or exterior bore lights at sporting goods stores or on Amazon.

All originals were made as three band, the whole two band artillery model is sort of a made up deal. Colt sold the Colt repros, Chattahoochie sold

Thank you. I am going to look up bore lights tonight!
These are cheap and work great as bore lights.

KEAUP 6PCS-High Capacity 340 LED Bobber Light Replacement Battery for Fishing Lures, Fishing Bobbers, Pen Lights, Arrow Nocks, Fishing Floats, Pole Lights, LED Flashers https://a.co/d/a2hnn2t

The Enfield 1858 and the 1855 Harpers Ferry Rifles (specific model, not to be confused with the M1855 musket) were 2-band. During the ACW a lot of 3-band guns were also cut down to make the shorter 2-band artillary rifles. Many of the 2-band repros mimic those.

So the Colt was sold as an M1881. Do you know if the Amoskeag was sold as an Enfield? The original owner said this was an Enfield or sold as one.
They resembled the Enfields, it's easy to mistake them. The Colt Special Musket really did look "Enfieldish". My cousin's husband has his family handed down original Colt Special from the 9th (or 11th?) NJ Reg't. along with ctg. box, late war no brass plate and it has the orig. sling and bayonet; I think his relative was in late in the war, probably saw no action.

While it is a very nice rifled carbine, I have to point out that it has nothing in common with any Enfield Pattern firearm and cant be mistaken for one. Even from distance.

The Enfield 1858 and the 1855 Harpers Ferry Rifles (specific model, not to be confused with the M1855 musket) were 2-band. During the ACW a lot of 3-band guns were also cut down to make the shorter 2-band artillary rifles. Many of the 2-band repros mimic those.
I should have specified, all M1861 specials were made as three band.

No, none of the M1861 specials were identified as Enfields in any way. The originals were just issued and accepted as M1861's like the Springfields and other contract rifle muskets.

No, none of the M1861 specials were identified as Enfields in any way. The originals were just issued and accepted as M1861's like the Springfields and other contract rifle muskets.
It's my understanding about the Colt M1861 Specials that the main difference is the lock in that the lock works are patterned after the Enfield lock. In all other respects they're more inline with the Springfield M1861 rifle musket.

Hi Trot, just to clarify, you are talking about the reproduction rifles right and not the originals? There have been so many comments it gets a little confusing. As I search for info on this specific rifle, I am trying to find out what it was actually called. Thanks again for your help and input.

Ok thank you. Do you have any information on the specific rifle I posted?
Nope. Not an Enfield. Lovely rifle though! Enjoy.

Cheers, Pete

parkerhale53-.jpg
Parkerhale58-.jpg

Hi Trot, just to clarify, you are talking about the reproduction rifles right and not the originals? There have been so many comments it gets a little confusing. As I search for info on this specific rifle, I am trying to find out what it was actually called. Thanks again for your help and input.
Correct, the originals, however the repros were never sold as Enfields either.

It's my understanding about the Colt M1861 Specials that the main difference is the lock in that the lock works are patterned after the Enfield lock. In all other respects they're more inline with the Springfield M1861 rifle musket.
They were just different than 1861 Springfields in many aspects. Hammer shape, barrel bolster without the clean out screw, rounded barrel bands clinched with screws instead of held by springs, were all closer to the Enfield. Interestingly, when the Springfield was redesigned in 1863 it very closely resembled the 1861 Special.

Last edited:
So do you know if these repos were sold as Springfields? Maybe they didnt call them either and had something completely different.
I remember checking them out at the time, I believe they were sold as 1861 special contract rifle muskets. Definitely not as Springfields.

Back