• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My first Enfield or military style long Gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
All my muzzleloaders over the years have had to do with hunting or target shooting. I have never been a collector of firearms for their military or re-enactment value. Well when I saw this Enfield I could not resist. I grew up in Manchester NH, had my first bank account at Amoskeag bank and still go to the mills for many things today. Here is a reproduction Enfield 1862-63 58cal un-fired done in stainless. It is the 2 band artillery version. I didnt know we made them for a time in Manchester, so when I saw this I had to have it. What a beautiful well crafted piece. Anything that anyone knows about these like who made them and when, would be much appreciated.
IMG_8824.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8822.jpg
    IMG_8822.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8825.jpg
    IMG_8825.jpg
    515.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8816.jpg
    IMG_8816.jpg
    422.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8817.jpg
    IMG_8817.jpg
    398.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8818.jpg
    IMG_8818.jpg
    435.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8820.jpg
    IMG_8820.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8814.jpg
    IMG_8814.jpg
    725.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8815.jpg
    IMG_8815.jpg
    472 KB · Views: 0
That is really, really super cool, especially with the manufacturer's name on the lock.

To me, it just has the "look" of a Pedersoli, but I spent some time searching for evidence using the proof marks shown and didn't get lucky, sorry.

Last edited:
It's not an Enfield it's a M1861 Special. Colt originally contracted to make these, then Amoskeag and LG&Y helped finish out the contract. It's similar to an Enfield because Colt already had the tooling for Enfields, when they got the contract to make Springfields they kind of stretched the rules and made their own version. That's the condensed version of an interesting story.

It's not an Enfield it's a M1861 Special. Colt originally contracted to make these, then Amoskeag and LG&Y helped finish out the contract. It's similar to an Enfield because Colt already had the tooling for Enfields, when they got the contract to make Springfields they kind of stretched the rules and made their own version. That's the condensed version of an interesting story.
I knew Colt was involved, I have found a little history on the original guns. Do you know when these were made?

If you think it's not stainless, do you know what it is?

Just unfinished (i.e., not blued and lock not case hardened). The term used is Armory Bright. That's how the Springfields were produced.

Beautiful gun! Nice score.
Thank you, I am not a metal expert by any means, but I thought if metal was not finished or coated it would rust? I do not know how old this is, but there is not a spot of rust. Does this take any special care?

Thank you, I am not a metal expert by any means, but I thought if metal was not finished or coated it would rust? I do not know how old this is, but there is not a spot of rust. Does this take any special care?
Just keep it wiped down and oiled. Also, when you remove the barrel, apply some wax to the underside of the barrel and stock that it rests in. Prevents rust from potential moisture getting in there. Easy to maintain with little effort. Enjoy!

It's not an Enfield it's a M1861 Special.
I have a Colt Signature Series M1861 Special repro and the OP's gun is not the same as mine. Several notable differences: mine is three-band (w/ longer barrel as appropriate), there's a Sam Colt signalture engraved on the trigger guard, and there's "STEEL" stamped on the barrel under the proof marks.

Last edited:
Those are great guns. They are made by Chiappa (Army-Sport) and imported by Chattahooche Arms mainly for the NSSA crowd. He imported both the three band and two band versions. All of the originals were made as three bands. Chattahooche piggy backed on the Colt Signature Series version of this gun. Chiappa had the tooling on hand so Chattahoochie had them made with both Amoskeag and L,G&Y markings. Some of the two band guns he had relined by Bobby Hoyt with progressive depth rifling. See if you can detect a liner in the barrel.

Thanks!! Great detail answering the question I was about to post. :thumb:

Having a progressive depth rifling liner would be a huge plus. Mine hasn't been a particularly good shooter.

First let me apologize, I have never taken photos of the inside of a barrel an honestly do not know how to do that correctly. I also do not know how to tell if there is a liner or progressive depth rifling.
I can feel rifling in the barrel at the end. I sent Chiappa an email for info on this rifle so hopefully they can give some insight. Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_8828.jpg
    IMG_8828.jpg
    355.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8826.jpg
    IMG_8826.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 0
First let me apologize, I have never taken photos of the inside of a barrel an honestly do not know how to do that correctly. I also do not know how to tell if there is a liner or progressive depth rifling.
I can feel rifling in the barrel at the end. I sent Chiappa an email for info on this rifle so hopefully they can give some insight. Thank you
From those pics, to me it looks like a liner and 3 grooves. Common for 2-band N-SSA Artillary rifles. But there are others on here who know much more than me. I'll bet that will be a great shooter.

Latest posts

Back