• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My basement wall

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here's a couple of pics of my rifles; nothing fancy or custom, but they're all fun to shoot.

wall.jpg

wall1.jpg

Thanks for the pics, Swoter. I'm trying real hard to pace myself, but think I might end up with a wall looking like that one of these days ::

Not a problem here, but I'm wondering if that basement location gives you problems with humidity. If so, how do you deal with it?

After I clean them I wipe them down with wd-40. Haven't had any problems yet. It doesn't hurt that a de-humidifier is about 6 feet away. I leave it on all the time and have to empty the bucket every couple of days.

Mighty fine looking basement wall. I'd like to do that to a room downstairs, but it's wall to wall bookcases and no room for a rifle rack. :cry:

BTW, if you have a gun that's a wall hanger and not a shooter, go to Woodcraft and get some Rennaisance Wax (developed by the British Museum). That'll keep it from rusting and its PH neutral.

BTW, if you have a gun that's a wall hanger and not a shooter, go to Woodcraft and get some Rennaisance Wax (developed by the British Museum). That'll keep it from rusting and its PH neutral.
Would that be suitable for use on the stock of one you are shooting? Any benefit to it over something else?

You should give Marvin's mystery oil a try...that is what all us gun collectors use to prevent rust and bring out the guns true beauty. I like to dab a little on a tanned chunk of sheeps wool and use that to apply the oil. I would be afraid that wd-40 might disapate and leave you with no protection

:m2c:

I don't have a basement, but I have a room over my shop, and this is what I did with part of it. This is the mountain man section. The pistol and the top long rifle are originals, the bottom one is one I made, and the middle one is one that Tim Brown did a lot of work on. It has an original lock, butt plate and trigger guard.
mtnmanwall.jpg

Cowhand can ya give any info on that top gun? I love the look of the roman nose style stocks. Length, caliber, weight etc maybe who made it, anything would be great! Thanks YMHS Birdman

Looking in Kindig's book, "The Kentucky Rifle in it's Golden Age" this rifle looks like it might be made by Wolfgang Haga or someone closely associated with him. The patch box and the over all look of the rifle are ringers to the one on page 200. Mine has no carving, and no name. Haga according to the book didn't sign his or engrave the metal. Mine is not signed and there is no engraving. This then would be the Womelsdorf-Readiing school according to Kindig, and that's about all I can tell you.

I don't have a basement, but I have a room over my shop, and this is what I did with part of it.
I like that, it sets off the rifles nicely. Should do something like that to my wall, give it more of a rustic look.

Very Nice Gentlemen! Cowhand do you have a closeup picture of the nice original? I too love the shape and style of the Roman nose stocks! ::

Thanx

Davy

Wow both are nice collections.,generational hand-me-downs that should stir some arguements amongst the inheritors thats fer sure.

My wife made a comment about my cannons and the fights they are going to cause after my demise....., I told her "this is the essence of collecting.,to continue wreaking havoc after I am gone" :blah:

On the topic of WD-40., Its been my experience the it loosens rust.,and is a good way to clean.,but after that should in fact be wiped off (Wd-40 has water based properties) and the definitely wiped down with Marvel Mystery oil., or artillery grease. Sounds like that de-humidifier has been paying for itself quite well.

Cowhand you said that was your mountain man section. Does that mean you have other sections too? :hmm: If so can we see pleaseee? :)

RIG gun grease is an old standby that works great for long term storage as well...
::
Davy

Both those wall pics are nice lookin' displays!

swoter - what is that top gun? I like the look of that one in particular. :)

Latest posts

Back