• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My 1851 uberti navy arrived a day early.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ballshooter

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Well I am super happy fit and finish is simply awesome! Looks like they fixed the short arbor length from the looks of it. The action is like silk ,nice crisp trigger break..over all I am very satisfied with it. Oh and the Eras Gone colt conical fit very well in the loading gate. Can't wait to shoot it! Not the best pictures but you guys know what they look like..lol

Attachments

• 20230712_190710.jpg
    20230712_190710.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • 20230712_194918.jpg
    20230712_194918.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230712_195031.jpg
    20230712_195031.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230712_195015.jpg
    20230712_195015.jpg
  • 20230712_190542.jpg
    20230712_190542.jpg
  • 20230712_190600.jpg
    20230712_190600.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
That test doesn't work.
It's short.

Mike
Okay, how do you test it. I am slow lol. I am new to the BP revolver but not new to BP or guns. I couldn't get it to go any further and saw plenty of videos that the barrel would go further down, than mine.

That is a bogus test.
Get a thin washer that will drop down the arbor hole and assemble the revolver. At that point you know it's at least that short. This forum, my posts are full of how to's.

Mike

BTW I was looking for a square box but I can't make out any letters it. It does have a CIP then the number 23 in circle it that when it was made? SN number is V05x36:dunno:

I have to ask, what is the short arbor problem? The wedge locks the unit together, I don’t understand is it necessary to shim it?

I have to ask, what is the short arbor problem? The wedge locks the unit together, I don’t understand is it necessary to shim it?

The wedge pulls the barrel assy back against the frame and arbor. It can't "lock" them together if there is space between the end of the arbor and the bottom of the arbor hole. Take care of the "space" and you will have a solid mating of the two assemblies.

Mike

45D, Mike being ignorant of the importance of this problem why does the manufacturer of these revolvers not take notice of this and fix it. Or do they believe it is not a problem and we may be picking hairs for no good reason. Might they believe the wedge holds the upper portion and the pins and frame take the rest?
Many thanks for the explanation!!
Coupe

I have a new Uberti, bought in March. I do not believe in this mysterious short arbor problem. Gap between cone and cylinder is .002, any tighter its not gonna turn.
Mine is fine.

I have a new Uberti, bought in March. I do not believe in this mysterious short arbor problem. Gap between cone and cylinder is .002, any tighter its not gonna turn.
Mine is fine.
The problem, as I understand it, is not involving the cylinder-to-cone clearance.
It is that if the arbor is short, then the barrel wants to slide deeper down the arbor than it should. The bottom will stop where it hits the frame where the two alignment pins are, but that only stops it at the bottom. The barrel will lever on this point as you drive the wedge in, since the barrel is not bottoming out on the nose of the arbor.

The ideal situation is that the barrel bottoms out on the frame at the same time the arbor bottoms out in the arbor hole of the barrel.

Mine is fine.
Yeah mine is .002 I just put a small washer in the arbor hole and I couldn't get the wedge in and it had a gap on the frame. Sooooo short arbor still? Not that I can tell.

Thank you maillemaker, that clears up my questions on the short arbor!!

Out of my three Uberti's, the best was .060" short and the worst was .090" short. The middle one was made in the first quarter of 2023, so if they've fixed their process, it's very recent.

Mine is fine.

"Any tighter" and it doesn't turn, means you have a short arbor ( doesn't matter if you believe in it or not).

Mike

Yeah mine is .002 I just put a small washer in the arbor hole and I couldn't get the wedge in and it had a gap on the frame. Sooooo short arbor still? Not that I can tell.

Look down at the bottom of the arbor hole and see if there's a witness mark (circular mark where arbor is contacting the bottom).

Like this
20220220_111733.jpg

Mike

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back