• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My 1/4 scale field gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

23tbucket

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Just joined this group. Lots to learn.I built this 1" bore cannon in 1980. Didn't have web sites back then or anyplace known to get plans. Was told early manufactures of cannons made scaled down versions to show the military? I've purchased a few plans on ebay..hope to get back in this fun hobby again.
Love this site; Clifford

PC140011.jpg

Welcome, Cliff. Your handiwork is impressive, and you'll find yourself amongst kindred spirits here. :v

Thanks guys, I'll have to take some more detailed pictures for you all.
Kevthebassman..I've fired the smoothbore many times with and without a projectile. I used to fire a blank charge at an annual river raft race every 3rd. saturday in july. I would load 2oz. of pyro. followed with a 1" round 1/4"thick leather wad and touch that mother off. Many many people would come down to the river early just to take a picture and "feel" the rush from the black powder noise and smoke. I had one nasty experiance though..It was a particularly dense foggy morning down at the river when I fired off the cannon using just a 3 ft. long wick-stick. The concusion I recieved due to the dense air knocked me to my knees. It took a few hours for my ears to quit ringing. I have used fuses and ear protection to this day. No more stupid Dumf__ tough guy stuff for me!
I use solid round lead balls when target shooting. I use 1 oz. pyro. the 1" leather wad and gently ram the lead ball in place. I have a painted line on an oak dowel that I use for ramming. I put a little fine powder in the touch hole, then wiggle in a 6" fuse and curl the top. After lit I stand back and to the side about 15ft. Spectators are behind and off to one side 30ft. away. There is a definate louder boom when firing a projectile.
I've seen the lead ball go thru 12" of dry spruce (the target back) and kept on traveling thru another 12" of several wet poplar trees. The inlet holes were small, but the exit holes were splintered big time. We chopped the ball out of the last tree it didn't go thru and found the ball was still entact, but only a bit egg shaped!
I got invited to a muzzleload rifle shoot. They set up a 1 gallon plastic jug full of water 50 yds. down against a sand hill. 1st shot was low and right. 2nd shot just off to the right again, but the height was on. I nailed the jug with the 3rd shot...that water filled jug just totally blew up, amazing, the crowd loved it. The local radio interved me, can't remember what was said...was still calming down from trying not to look foolish in front of the blackpowder guys and wondering if I can ever hit that jug with my 1 dozen lead balls. Oh yeh, I have a detachable magnetic front sight and a small rear sight groove. I am still amazed that a non-rifled barrel still has some group accuracy
in it? Cliff.

Sounds wonderful! You're not helping my black powder addiction any!

I think one of these might have to be my project for next summertime, hopefully get it before the 4th and have a bit of fun.

Has anyone ever done any business with Missouri Cannon Works? It's pretty close to home and maybe I can save some cash by picking it up myself instead of having it shipped.

You might want to take a look at the blackpowder cannon and mortar forum at greybeard outdoors before you decide on missouri cannon works. I bought a golfball mortar from a version of them on ebay about 2 years ago. It took 4-5 months and a lot of excuses and delays before I ever got it. I still have the emails from them. Being able to go there in person might be a better experience.
Bob

Back