• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzleloading hunting CA

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erik550c

40 Cal.
Reaction score
So I'd love to go on a muzzleloading only hunt in California, but I did not apply for a muzzleloader hunt on my deer drawing application because I do not live near one of the muzzleloader only hunts on the regulation map. I have two deer tags though, is there a muzzleloading season for my tags (like archery season preceding general season). My tags are D12 and D14. From what I could gather from the regulations, I would have to have applied for a specific muzzleloader hunt. Correct?

A little web searching says beginning with the 2015-2016 season, anyone with a deer tag must report their harvest, even if they did not actually go hunting. I thought I would mention it in case you didn't know.

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/hunting/deer

Somewhere in that same link you will probably find the answer to your question.

Most, if not all states regulations say that a muzzleloading rifle can be used in place of a center-fire rifle during the regular hunts, as long as it meets the requirements for muzzleloaders on the species being hunted.

The laws say that the muzzleloading season is for muzzleloaders only. That's to keep the center-fire guys from hunting during that hunt.

Put a different way, I can use my muzzleloader for deer hunting in Arizona during the muzzleloading season or during the regular high power rifle season. The gun I choose is up to me.

Probably the easiest way to find the answer is to do as Mr. Eames suggested. Call the California Game and Fish department and ask them.

Okay. Thanks. I asked here for convenience because everyone here is knowledgeable.

CA doesn't have ML seasons like the Archery seasons before the General rifle seasons. The ML " hunts" you applied for are for limited areas and usually late in the year which make them desire able but hard to draw.

You can still use your ML during the General rifle seasons that you have tags for. And, you wouldn't have to comply with all of the ML regulations. You could use a scope if you felt like it. GW

muzzleloader hunts are a draw tad and very hard to get. j have been putting in for M 11 FOR YEARS WITH NO LUCK. I LIVE IN M 11 ZONE AND THE HUNT IS IN THE RUTTING SEASON. pluss hunting this area is tough country if you are not from here, good luck.

Back