• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzleloader season camp

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a milsurp GP Small that we have used for some of our hunts. It's great for a group but not a lone camper. I got it up for sale now. Going to get something smaller.

This past season I used a light weight 3 person pack tent. It has enough room for one person to be comfortable and keep gear under cover. That with a good sized tarp co er over a cooking and lounging area makes a dandy drive up camp. There was two of us in the camp each with our own tent.

A “Naga” was a critter that was once plentiful all over the world. They became highly valued for the synthetic leather produced from their hides. This popularity lead to their extinction in the 1970’s due to high demand for cheap pants, furniture & car seat coverings, etc. 🙂

I still have a 1/2 dozen Naga hides still on stretchers. Probably never get around to using them.

Not proud to have contributed to their extinction. 😞

Getting some updated wool clothes this year. Tried many different kinds of materials… yet A 3 piece, pant/vest and jacket of good quality wool will definitely assist in a “Great time hunting” in cold temps. If need a Set of Wool bibs & large Parker over all that will really help when still hunting or waiting in a blind or stand.
I’ll get the Bibs this up coming year. Have a spectacular Parka. Yet the 3 peice “suit” is to be acquired soon. Just in time for Muzzleloader season.

Getting some updated wool clothes this year. Tried many different kinds of materials… yet A 3 piece, pant/vest and jacket of good quality wool will definitely assist in a “Great time hunting” in cold temps. If need a Set of Wool bibs & large Parker over all that will really help when still hunting or waiting in a blind or stand.
I’ll get the Bibs this up coming year. Have a spectacular Parka. Yet the 3 peice “suit” is to be acquired soon. Just in time for Muzzleloader season.
I do lots of winter camping and I like wool to but for a baselayer you can't beat some good polartec layers. I've spent days out camping in single digits and it's never let me down. Now as far as socks go darn tough wool is my go to the hunter version is top notch

Last edited:
You need a heated suit. I seen a pic of you on stand dressed up and face covered on a mild winter day as I knew the temp.You can,t hack it man.

My hunting buddy of near 50 yrs. , and our two teen age boys , made a tent deer camp , on top of Sandy Ridge Mtn. in Centre Co. Pa. many yrs. back , 'cause the boys , wanted to do it. First morning of the Pa. buck season after breakfast , about 4 AM ,and temp. 60 deg. F , we were getting into the trucks for the short ride to the game land parking lot. Oddly , in the west , we heard a roaring sound , like high wind would make. We parked and started the mile and a half hike back into the grounds we were to hunt. Half way into the walk ,an ice storm came on. The wind came up to a shrieking scary level , and we later found out at daylight , around 6 AM the wind was 50+ mph. The wind chill hit minus 45 F. One of us did get a buck that morning , and we were all lucky not to have been injured by widow makers , caused by high wind breaking branches from trees. I think the number of hunters injured was six , with one lady hunter , being killed by a tree falling on her. The deer woods was empty of hunters by noon, due to the storm. We decided to find a permanent deer camp due to that experience. ........ oldwood

You need a heated suit. I seen a pic of you on stand dressed up and face covered on a mild winter day as I knew the temp.You can,t hack it man.
Ah, Like a child who lost…stirring up an old fight. So you remember a temp of a day, a year ago in another state? Ok
I do prefer the warm hunting like when I was in Africa for two months.
How would you know what day I took photo and what day I posted. Guess your Assuming it was the same?
Plus it wasn’t in a stand, was a ground blind. It’s obvious in photo.

As you probably know, When you assume you make an As….. well, maybe you don’t know.

Ps …Sorry last year I Didn’t want to play your game further, after a month of not getting a photo of the rifle you “Had” supposedly “For Sale”
So I simply bought another.

My new never fired Pa Carbine flintlock is exceptional nice.

Perhaps grow up and get over it? No need to continue to clutter this thread with your personal grudge.

Here is photos including that mild 10 Degree wind chill day.
AF515CC2-9A1E-4A78-9897-7A6826A1412F.jpeg
ADBF4B76-5667-44FE-B4F4-A46581E83B1C.jpeg

Last edited:
ahh nagas , used to spend hours watching them . i miss them:rolleyes:

Yes, they were fascinating to watch. Much more interesting than otters.

I often wondered why they were not protected. Turns out that Lyndon Johnson was bitten on the patooty by one while duck hunting and declared them vermin to be wiped out.

Nice, looks like fun for sure! how did that stove do for heat?
By its appearance it’s probably the same Seek Outside titanium stove I use, and it keeps the tent very comfy on a minimal amount of wood down to about ten degrees. At 10* F I can feel the cold just pressing in through the tent fabric, and I have to make sure my bed setup is exactly right before letting the fire die down for the night. And at 45*F it’ll cook me right out of the tent. Pretty handy to be able to arrive at camp at dark crusted in snow and ice, exhausted and in conditions tough for making a campfire, i.e. perfect hypothermia conditions, and fire up a glowing hot stove in minutes, start cooking dinner on it, and begin to feel like the world is just perfect. The longest, most robust aluminum twisty tent stakes are a necessity, because in winter the winds can just pow appear out of nowhere. Without the tent, we’d all be in big trouble out in the wilderness. Great post and pictures, OP, and congratulations on the deer. Hunt of a lifetime, all DIY, and no guided hunt comes close.

Yeah! I’m thinking this should help.
Marino wool base layer and Awesome Wool Filson bibs

Attachments

• BE90C0A5-FCAD-4A23-930F-05FCABD2F202.jpeg
    BE90C0A5-FCAD-4A23-930F-05FCABD2F202.jpeg
    217.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 65B2B87B-43D6-4A7D-9DBB-83C5BC33654B.jpeg
    65B2B87B-43D6-4A7D-9DBB-83C5BC33654B.jpeg
    196.7 KB · Views: 0
Back