• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzle-Loaders.com has .45 and .50 Kentuckyish Flintlocks In Stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I learned long ago how to save money for good things.
Hey Numb much respect for your many view points. I have a couple of T/C Flinters and a C&B Rifle that would be considered junk by other Peoples standards. All work well. I took the time over the years to Make/buy/and maintain parts for them. They have served me well. They also have given me the same results as any other higher end rifle would give someone else. I also would like many others would not part with them as what they feel about what they own. It,s simply a progressive journey in the Hobby. Stay well. SM

Last edited:
Traditions offers entry level products and rifles. They allow the person on a strict
budget to get involved, and their quality is very acceptable. Young people and the
budget minded family-responsible person can join in the excitement. Traditions and CVA
have helped grow the sport with lower cost entry points. And Spanish made guns are
strong and accurate. Many many game animals have fallen to Traditions rifles.

In 1972 I bought a .45 cal "longrifle" kit, Lee mold and Lee Production Pot from DGW for $74. That money was earned in my spare time - when not working on the farm - by cutting grass with a push mower for $1 an acre. It took an entire summers work to save that $74. I've been shooting MLs ever since.
Do you still shoot the 1972 gun?

Do you still shoot the 1972 gun?
When I left home to take a job offer, I let my brother who is 15 years younger keep the gun. He shot it for years and finally put it in his gun safe as he acquired more rifles. It was still in working order the last time I visited and saw it out of his safe.

Edit: I've still got the mold and production pot. If fact, the Lee pot is my main tool for casting RBs and bullets today. :)

Last edited:
One can get all elitist on guns, if you don’t have a custom or a high quality build then you got nothing.
Cheap guns make smoke, and a traditions can shoot as well as a ten thousand dollar gun
Howsomever
When it comes to flint guns the cheaper guns often have locks that don’t work well. That’s highly frustrating
A two hundred dollar high end lock can clatch, but you want your gun to shoot.
Even a cap lock in the cheaper guns have a weaker spring and fail to set off the cap. Most of these can be cured with a little work
Don’t let anyone look down on your cheep gun, because cheap guns still shoot, are still fun

One can get all elitist on guns, if you don’t have a custom or a high quality build then you got nothing.
Cheap guns make smoke, and a traditions can shoot as well as a ten thousand dollar gun
Howsomever
When it comes to flint guns the cheaper guns often have locks that don’t work well. That’s highly frustrating
A two hundred dollar high end lock can clatch, but you want your gun to shoot.
Even a cap lock in the cheaper guns have a weaker spring and fail to set off the cap. Most of these can be cured with a little work
Don’t let anyone look down on your cheep gun, because cheap guns still shoot, are still fun
Well I have a Kibler SMR,Renagade,CVA squirrel gun,two custom 10 ring flint pistols and a 44 cal revolver. And yes all of them are differing in quality. But in the end they all go bang! My kibler is my favorite gun However I don't want to mess around trying to put a scope or peep sights on it. I'll probably order a less expensive kit to experiment on this week.

Anything can be made better. Not often to hear someone say a TC is junk. Last year everyone wanted to own one and couldn’t find one. I guess i am a Kibler fan boy and still own traditions,cva , and investarms.

These days a good lock costs $300 and a barrel $300. A plain piece of wood goes $100. All the small parts another $100 easy. That's an easy $800 and you still have to stock it up. So, if you can find a gun for less than the price of parts it's not likely to be something you'd want to own.
As I said above, my first gun was a TC. I thought it was cool until I took it to a shoot. There after not so much. I did kill a monster deer with it the first year I had it. 1980. 227lbs field dressed. 125 yard shot. Shot with a .50 TC caplock. All the rest of the deer I shot with a 20 bore fowling gun, except for the last one which I plugged with a 1860 colt army.

Attachments

• deer2 (1).JPG
    deer2 (1).JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 0
Probably more deer taken with CVA/Traditions and T/C rifles than all the custom guns ever made. A $10 hammer drives a nail same as a $100 hammer. Seen a CVA out shoot a custom gun more than once by the same shooter.

I've always thought if everything worked perfectly out of the box, life would be pretty dull; but to each his own. Carry on friends.

Here is my Traditions Crockett which I bought new last year:

568247AB-9F68-4817-B8B5-EE7051E5B613.jpeg

Just got done adding these tacks to it. I wouldn’t trade this rifle for the world. Anyone that says Traditions is junk hadn’t tried one. They are phenomenal guns for the money and this one is dead accurate and reliable. You can’t ask for more of a traditional muzzleloader that costs less than $500 brand new in the box.

Back