• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"musket wadding"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobowonkanobe

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Pretty sure this topic has been covered before, but, I cldnt find it, so...
this is a term you hear alot in movies or come across in historical writings and fiction.
Is this what it sounds like as a wad of paper, leather or regional fiber simply stuffed on top of the charge and or on top of the shot?
*post edit* I am researching other (aka faster) ways to load my Howdah and am curious as to what options are out there, both contemporary and historical

Just like today people fed their guns different stuff. Wads made of tow, old blanket, paper, and old saddle stuffing-felt was used.
Cartridges were being used at least by 1660, and were common by 1690, so wads were common made out of rag paper. So some one saying 'musket wads' by middle eighteenth century may well have been crumpled paper. However most paper was rag paper back then.
A howdah was a private arm, so making it a quick reload wasn't a goal. Someone who could afford one could afford two. Four quick shots would be at hand. Some howdah a were four barreled.
Any smooth bore can be loaded with a cartridge almost as fast as a fusil or musket

Paper cartridges were still extremely popular in the military, during the time period your Howdah pistol was in its zenith. The paper wrapper was often referred to as the wadding. They sure load faster than separate powder, wadding and ball. You may be able to find a ball size that is a good fit in your Howdah pistol bore with the paper wrapped around it - for the best accuracy with this method.

Gus

Thank you, gents.
the paper being cloth was a factor I hadnt thought of, thanks again for the heads up on that

Well, linen paper is not exactly cloth. You can still get different kinds of linen paper from the Copy Places and printers, though.

Gus

It wasn't quite cloth, or money is printed on rag paper.
True parchment and vellum are sheep skins, but what's sold in stationary stores today under those names are closer. Wood pulp was being used early. Paper was a lot more expensive then then now. This is why books were still very expensive. By 1750- 1800 pulp paper was becoming more common and cheaper. By 1830s dime pulp books were becoming common. Thus tabloids are still 'pulp'. And rags still used for papers.

Back