• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another Help me decide, I'm new to BP and Flintlocks post!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have all 3 & found the GPR to be best suited as a bench gun - too heavy for all day carry & it requires a higher powder charge to be accurate. The Deerstalker was my grapefruit plinker, good for exploding grapefruit out at the 100 yard line. I replaced it with the Trade Rifle for 100 yard plinking, and added the rear peep + th front globe sight. It's insanely accurate.

OP, .54 is a great choice for all types of hunting.

I will just add...I would never buy an import, factory flint lock. Barrels are fine, some great (if they are designed properly) and wood and inletting can be fine also, but the locks will just never be good enough.

A flint lock is as much art as science. And the Italian locks just don’t hold a candle to even a sub-par American made lock.

I started on a GPR. Had a cap version for many years (and one order of caps will last you longer than a five foot high mound of 3F) and it was a fine gun given its limitations. Owned several Italian flint locks looking for one that worked on a budget. That’s not how this hobby goes... They are all gone, and I am a happy man.

I have six flintlocks now and four cap guns. The only Italian lock is on my Bess Carbine, it’s been tuned but it’s still not the sparker my others are.

Buy a percussion GPR and save your money for a flintlock done right.

Thanks @brazosland I already ordered the Deerstalker. Figured at the cost difference of it vs the other imports if I found I had to swap the lock I’d be close to the same price as the going with one of those with the import lock and I’d have one with a better lock.

Would be great if that’s not the case I’ve heard positive things on their locks, but if I findI need toI’m alright with that.

Appreciate your input!

For cleaning patches I cut up old t-shirts or other soft 100% cotton clothing. Free and they work fine. If you have a spouse in the house with a rolling fabric cutter and a plastic cutting pad it makes the job easier.

Last edited:
Below is my 70 yard target from bench using regular iron sights. (Ordered my Lyman 57 SML today) I use 90 grains of Goex 2f with my home made .530 diameter round ball. I use regular pillow ticking but to get the sizing out, I put it in the wash at least 3-4 times. It should mike out at around .022 thick. Thinner than that doesn't work for me. I use moose milk made from 20% Ballistol, water and a dash of liquid dish soap. For hunting, I switch to the T/C bore butter on the patch. Because of the weight difference, I couldn't use the same sights for my slug. (T/C's hunting bullet) When I did shoot them, I had similar results. Check your patches for cutting from sharp threads. It will stop after so many shots. It should never burn through the patch, if it does, its not wet enough. If you can, get a metal range rod with a bore protector. It makes loading easier and more consistent. Consistent compression on the powder does help with accuracy. You might see people bouncing their wooden rods on the ball/powder charge. I believe that it does help make the load consistent. If you do go with flint. Put the priming charge next to the vent hole when shooting. It has been proven to be faster. Also use a feather or some device to keep the vent hole clean of powder when loading. A flint is as fast as a cap if everything works right. Some use lead to hold the flint instead of leather as they say it gives better spark. I prefer the german cut flints and the english flints. Well, you will get advice from others and their ideas are just as good as mine. Mine work for me. Some of the others might work better for you. That is the great part of this forum. More than one way to skin a cat, and they are all listed here.

View attachment 51753
Thanks for the info! Excited to get and get out shooting! Will post a report in here.

My Lyman Deerstalker arrived today! Since I know everyone likes pictures here are a few I took real quick tonight. After a few pulls of the trigger, it was throwing sparks! The quality seems pretty decent as well. I might take some steel wool to the stock and knock a couple of rough places off and sharp edges down and then use some Tru Oil on it, but not sure yet. Open to suggestions on that. Also not sure how sturdy that ramrod is so I may look at something better for that at some point and make sure to take it easy, pay attention to the factory one so I don't end up snapping it.
File_000 (4).jpeg

File_000 (5).jpeg

File_000 (6).jpeg

File_000 (7).jpeg

My Lyman Deerstalker arrived today! Since I know everyone likes pictures here are a few I took real quick tonight. After a few pulls of the trigger, it was throwing sparks! The quality seems pretty decent as well. I might take some steel wool to the stock and knock a couple of rough places off and sharp edges down and then use some Tru Oil on it, but not sure yet. Open to suggestions on that. Also not sure how sturdy that ramrod is so I may look at something better for that at some point and make sure to take it easy, pay attention to the factory one so I don't end up snapping it.View attachment 52899

View attachment 52900

View attachment 52901

View attachment 52902
Love the Lyman's. Dead sexy gun!
The thing I like about these guns us you can do stuff to make them your own. I've seen wire inlays, medallion inlays, some shooting related customizing like sighted, triggers, conning, rifling polishing etc. I'm specifically interested in the percussion Great Planes in .54 cal. Really nice gun, enjoy! I'll be interested in his well it groups out of the box.
Neil

October Country sold me a hickory ramrod that was so crooked it wouldn't fit in my thimbles. I contacted them and send them pictures. They told me it would straighten if I put it in my gun for awhile or after it was used awhile. What part of IT IS SO CROOKED IT WON'T FIT IN MY GUN did they not understand? NEVER EVER ORDER FROM THIS OUTFIT!!!! A reputable company would have mailed a new one the same day.
I ordered a one piece brass rod to replace the factory rod from Pedersoli. The wood rod is fine, I've just heard horror stories about wood rods breaking. It's never good.

Back