• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who Hunts w/an Escopeta?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R.J.Bruce

40 Cal
Reaction score
I am curious as to how many forum members own a functional, safe-to-hunt-with escopeta? One with a patilla flintlock? And, of those members that own one, what bore size is it? Do you hunt with it at all? If so, what type of game do you hunt with your escopeta? Do you shoot patched balls, wadded balls, bare balls???? Do you shoot shot out of it?

I have researched as many threads online as I can find, but there simply is not a lot of information out there to glean much from. Most of the posts tend to be praise for an owner's acquisition, historically informative in nature, or else the owner explaining the build/acquisition.

Not very much info on how these Catalan stocked, patilla flintlock escopetas handle, how much they weigh, how they compare to other smoothbore fowling weapons, etc.

So, I am hoping with this thread to start a conversation leading to disseminatination of the type of common knowledge that is available for military & civilian smoothbores that are more common.

Thanks,
Bruce

By the by, if there is a shoulder-fired muzzleloader in my future, it's going to be a Spanish, frontier, St. Augustine, Catalan-stocked, 20 gauge, carbine-length (28" barrel), patilla flintlock, escopeta with a belt/sash hook.

Last edited:
Watching this thread. Next time I am in Santa Fe or Taos I am going to keep a much closer lookout for museum specimens. I wonder if the Museum of the Fur Trade in Chadron, NE, has any escopitas in its collections.

Latest posts

Back