• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Musket Caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlesZ

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently purchased winged musket caps that were labeled," for reenactor use."
Now I don't hunt but I do alot of range work. Is there a performance issue here I should be aware of? Thanks.

I am not sure, but I believe that statment is made to show that the caps have 4 wings on them instead of 6. Some re inactors have reported wings coming off of the 6 wing type, although I have never had that happen (I do not re inact) and I shoot 6 wing caps often.

The caps should be first rate and be good for hunting

P

CharlesZ said:
I recently purchased winged musket caps that were labeled," for reenactor use."
Now I don't hunt but I do alot of range work. Is there a performance issue here I should be aware of? Thanks.

What brand are they?

I do CW reenacting, and we do not allow the 6-wing caps. They can and will fragment when they are fired. Due to the cup on the end of the hammer,the shooter never notices, but the guy standing next to him firing in formation sure notices. I've had the side of my face hit by cap fragments,narrowly missing my eye. I use 4-wing RWS caps, and they never fragment.

According to some reenactors who believe they are in the know, the CCI Reenactor caps are not as powerful as the 6 wingers. Thats one of the reasons why it's called a reenactor cap-less strong less fragmentation. It's alot like the reenactor powder- doesn't have to be as strong or as clean since it's not pushing a projectile of some sort.
I used to use the old 6 wingers until I hit my buddy in the lip wit a fragment and it stuck and started to bleed profusely. Now the only time I use a 6 winger is when I need a stronger charge to clear out the cone channel of oil right before taking the field. I try to find the RWS and use them. I have a supplier nearby where I buy them by the thousand.

Back