• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muphy Oil Soap

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We both agree that O2 is the base "molecule" for Oxygen in atmospheric conditions.The O's of the by product bond to each other creating O2(as I stated in my last post) The Carbon monoxide (if there is any) at atmospheric pressure is in the form of a gas. the Carbonic and other acids will be heavily diluted by the 90% + water in the HP and held in solution by the phospholipid Soap to be washed away and down the drain.

The steel I used for my experiment was the end of my gun barrel where I just finished soldering on a new front site. I was going to brown it but decided to use it for this experiment.I resanded he metal and applied two coats of M.A.HP. solution with a swab and let dry in between applications. No oil as I do to the inside of the barrel. Just dried solution. So far nothing but shiny metal and a slight sticky feel. You can click on the No RUST to see nothing is happening. But I'll keep an eye on it and let you know.

The bottle in the sun hasn't exploded yet.

My Daughter Usti suggested I use this for my Chemistry lab Final. I'll publish my findings here.

In my experience, Hp has rusted every gun I've used it on. That three part combo works great at the range on the line to do a quick scrub out, but you better find something to displace it or look out. It has had a much more visable effect on bright finished barrels than brown. I've come back and the entire crown and bore is covered in rust. Use it sparingly and then wash the gun in real hot water. My .02

My head hurts...you mean for 15+ years I've been cleaning a dozen and a half muzzleloaders all wrong using hot soapy water?????????????????????
:crackup:

30 years cleaning the same old Sante Fe Hawkens with HOT soapy (dishsoap, Murphy, Tide, whatever) and it shoots "almost" as good as new (propably over 3,000 rounds thru it, so it opened up a little). Yep, just plain ole soap and real hot water,,run a bronze brush, soaked in Ox-Yoke accuracy restorer, swamp it in a bucket of hot soapy water (don't use the bathtub no more), dry it good and light swab of Break-Free in the bore,,,,no chemistry, no mixin, I'm doin the 100 strokes of 0000 steel wool, tryin to polish it up real good now!!

Hey
Dont think BB is nuts but I use ivory soap bar type and make a paste put it on the brush and srub. Then I put hot hot water in the toilet and use the hot water in the toilet to clean the rest. the reason I use the toilet is my wife and her nose and in the winter I dont want to go outside. I just flush and the smell is gone just like the human smell.

Bearbeater

Not that I know of RB. hell peroxide ????.LOL My Gun ain't got no wounds and It don't need an asprin stuffed down the barrel either. it ain't got a headache either.LOL

Woody
PS Soap and hot water will even get a baby's butt clean too :)

Then I put hot hot water in the toilet and use the hot water in the toilet to clean the rest. the reason I use the toilet is my wife and her nose...

Well, I'll be the salt of a carboxylic acid :crackup:
What do you do if the dogs want a drink?

My wife gave me a beat up old aluminium pot for puttin' my water in. She allows me to bring it to about 200/210 degrees on her stove too. Then I have to go outside, even in the winter that ain't too bad, you gotta wear gloves to keep from burnin' your hand anyway. What makes me mad is she gave the dogs better pots than she gave me. :curse: Oh yeah I put Murphy's soap in the water, don't tell her, I didn't ask. :blah:

Okay guys: MOS,MAW,MAP,Hot water and soap, they all work for one person or the other. Whatever works for you use it. Peroxide or not if you use it make sure you clean it out and lube ASAP. Now the best thing about the Hydrogen Peroxide that hasn't been mentioned. Sure it's good for those flint cuts but the best thing it's good for is use it like soap on your hands to take all the Black Powder residue off you hands so you can drive home without the sticky steering wheel cindrome. It really take the gunk off your hands and leaves them squeaky clean.
Fox :thumbsup:

Back