• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Most Underrated Muzzleloading Accessories.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aldarith, ppb,

Thanks. I made the first version of that shooting tool (I call it my "Gunner's Mate") several years ago now. I slips easily in a pocket and weighs just 3 ounces. I can do almost anything I need to do to keep a rifle shooting in the field with it. Here is a complete write up on it.....continue down to the "more details" part...

http://luckybag.us/GunnersMate.html
I actually make one of these and put it in the patch box of every rifle I have. In that case, it has to be partially disassembled but all the tools I need are right there. Below are some pictures of how I set that up. I made all the parts of this tool compatible with 10-32 threads (for strength) and I make all my ram rods with female 10-32 threads on both ends.

I wanted to put one of the complete tools in the box on the .58 caliber English rifle I made some time ago now. The only problem was that this rifle has one of the narrowest boxes I have made and the "T" handle for the tool would not fit. After a little thought, I cut away a notch inside each side of the box and got the "T" handle to drop in. A little more tow and the body of the tool taken down into two pieces and it all fits fine.....and the tow keeps it all from rattling around...

Last edited:
You cannot imagine how handy this thing is for revolvers picking out lube encrusted lead rings from chamber mouths ..picking percussion caps n cap fragments out of the action ..and yes ..mine is PINK ..it was given to me by an attractive lady at the gun range who I had just given a short class to her hubby and 2 sons on black powder pistol shoot'in n stuffing ..right out of her make-up bag it came!
20210623_133119.jpg

No snickering please ..it is awesome when you have large fingers n arthritis infested hands ..
For those of you that wouldn't be caught dead with one ..just ask the lady in cosmetics at any store for eye brow plucking tweezers ..perhaps in a CAMO color maybe!!!???

Bear

Bear

Some of us talk about wiping between shots. Some will use a wet patch at the range that wipes the bore as the ball is loaded. The rifle is fired before the wet lubricant in the patch contaminates the powder. Thus it is claimed that many shots are fired without wiping between shots. Okay.

For those of us that do run a damp patch down between shots to control the fouling and have a consistent level of fouling in the bore, we have to be aware that a tight fitting damp patch will push fouling into the breech area and into the chambered breech is the rifle has one or the flash channel. We have to use the proper sized jag which is several thousandths smaller in diameter than the cleaning jag. Yes this means an extra piece of gear that we have to keep track of or we can use a tow worm. The benefit of the tow worm is that it is smaller than a cleaning jag and it will carry a ball of tow to the breech and bunch up to pull the fouling out of the barrel. The tow can be rinsed out to be used after the next shot.

Back