• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Most recent Rifle Build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jdbeck

32 Cal
Reaction score
Figured someone you may enjoy seeing this project. Rice barrel 42 inch, Brooks Lock Castings, Brass was sandcasted by me, rest of the hardware was either cut or forged. It’s not perfect, I definitely plan on working on my engravings skills in the future.

I build primarily to tell the story of my ancestors through living history.

Hope you enjoy!

Attachments

• IMG_4818.jpeg
    IMG_4818.jpeg
    826.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0226.jpeg
    IMG_0226.jpeg
    177 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0225.jpeg
    IMG_0225.jpeg
    429.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0206.jpeg
    IMG_0206.jpeg
    381.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0214.jpeg
    IMG_0214.jpeg
    350.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4817.jpeg
    IMG_4817.jpeg
    888.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0215.jpeg
    IMG_0215.jpeg
    208.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4869.jpeg
    IMG_4869.jpeg
    666.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4866.jpeg
    IMG_4866.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Damn, that’s about as good as it gets! I think you did a great job! looks fantastic! If you don’t mind me asking, what did you use for your finish? I’m about to finish up a rifle myself really like the way you’re finished came out.

I appreciate the kind words. But I have a lot to learn still. Main goal now is to improve with an emphasis in engraving practice.

that is great work. how difficult is it to get started casting brass?
I did a YouTube video of my casting experience.

I built a cope and drag box, and got a home foundry that runs on propane. I’m still learning—it’s a alot to learn from temperature of the brass adding zing, the vents, gates, and pour spouts. The tiniest changes can greatly affect the outcome. And since I only have one cope and drag box at the moment, when I have an unsuccessful pour it really hits home. So my goal is to build a few more boxes or look at investment casting. I’m gonna experiment more in the spring. The but plate is definitely the hardest to cast in my opinion.

Back