• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mortimer fowler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Munro

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Being new to the forum world not sure how this works but here it goes. I have recently purchased an antique mortimer percussion fowler and not sure the barrel is up for a hunting load. Can I get a replacement barrel for this firearm any help advice or direction would be appreciated

It may make more economic and practical sense to have your existing barrel relined by a competent barrelsmith.

Two names foremost in my mind are Bob Hoyt, Fairfield, PA and Ed Rayl in W. Virginia. Either would be a sound choice to get it done correctly.

Not only barrel wall thickness and condition are important, but also the breechplug integrity.

You would have to talk to a gunsmith willing to make or reshape a barrel to the existing contours. Normal flow is the stock is shaped to the barrel rather than the other way around.

That's going to likely be a lot of labor. Figure $2,000 to $6,000 for a replacement unless it is very close to an existing offering.

Option 2 is to have the current barrel drilled out and sleeved. Will kill the collector value but make a useable fowler.

The firearm is almost identical to the pedisoli mortimer fowler would they have replacement barrels that would work

Angus58 said:
The firearm is almost identical to the pedisoli mortimer fowler would they have replacement barrels that would work

If you believe that to be the case, take careful outside measurement, at about six points along the barrel and provide those to Ped.
Actually, my thought is, if the gun has any antique value, it might be best to turn it into a wall hanger and look for something else.
Or, if you have access to a good muzzle loading gunsmith, have him check it out. It may be safe to shoot but you need to know that before loading.

I would not expect much help from Pedersoli. Not that they might not want to help, but unless the questioner speaks fluent technical Italian and / or the contact in Italy speaks fluent technical English ( not likely in either case ) disappointment is bound to be the result. Contacting an importer of Pedersoli Mortimers would be better . Sometimes they have an in - house gunsmith of sorts for warranty work. Cimarron is an example, but I don't know if they import the Mortimer. I used to work for an Italian - owned ammunition company located in Missouri . They were no - nonsense and serious when money was being discussed, as numbers speak for themselves to a large degree, but the language barrier was more of a problem when talking about production methods or technical issues related to firearms. Keep in mind that even Europeans that are involved in the firearms manufacturing industry shoot very little compared to Americans, if at all.

I contacted pedersoli via email and they advised me that they couldn't garantee that the demensions would be the same as the original barrel. So I'm taking the advice given and have made arrangements with a member of our gun club who has some experience with antiques to replace the nipple and test fire it for me. Should the barrel prove to be incapable of handling a reasonable load I will look into making the pedersoli barrel work. I appreciate the responses and information provided. It is my hope that they can share wisdom with me in future projects. Thank you all

Latest posts

Back