• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mortar Fire

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need one of each, but Mrs. Boss vetoed the very idea. 😁
They would help keep the neighbors dogs out of the trash! Let's see, 150 yards from the front porch to the gate, my mortar just fits a gallon paint can; what 'gay' color shall I paint the international dogs? I think my 1841 U.S. is plenty, the 13 inch Seacoast would require a larger spread. Besides, the Seacoast weighs 17,000lbs as I recall. Just too much for one old man, LOL!

I need one of each, but Mrs. Boss vetoed the very idea. 😁
But, Dear, everything has to be bigger in Texas! Three miles to the front gate is a bully shot! It'll keep the canine trash distributers at a respectable distance! Not to mention carpetbaggers, mail in ballot offers, and cross-border voting jackasses, LOL!

They would help keep the neighbors dogs out of the trash! Let's see, 150 yards from the front porch to the gate, my mortar just fits a gallon paint can; what 'gay' color shall I paint the international dogs? I think my 1841 U.S. is plenty, the 13 inch Seacoast would require a larger spread. Besides, the Seacoast weighs 17,000lbs as I recall. Just too much for one old man, LOL!
Hydraulics! LOL Old here too.

Since you're all talking about it, do you need a permit or tax stamp to buy a real cannon or is it just illegal? I don't know how the limit of 50 Caliber modern guns comes into play here.

Maine and Florida I have had no issues. Even fired in city limits on special occasions (blanks) permission not required. Law enforcement just said to check with your neighbors so you don't scare them, kids, pets and do it safely. Birthdays, boat launchings, wake up at dawn you are 40 etc. I would never shoot a projectile unless at a range with a safety officer's approval.

Cannon
Post thread
Discussions about Traditional muzzleloading cannons. No breech-loaders, pipes with end caps, PVC, or "potato guns". Historic cannon design only.

Since you're all talking about it, do you need a permit or tax stamp to buy a real cannon or is it just illegal? I don't know how the limit of 50 Caliber modern guns comes into play here.
No issues with ml cannons at the federal level unless you fire projectiles that explode after leaving the muzzle. EG: An exploding mortar round. What happens at state and local level is a personal issue to research.

We shoot artillery and mortars live fire in North South Skirmish Association competition. At our last Nationals in Winchester VA, Charlie Smithgal brought his original 30lb siege gun and shot it in competition. Our team competes using a 6lb rifled howitzer.

We shoot artillery and mortars live fire in North South Skirmish Association competition. At our last Nationals in Winchester VA, Charlie Smithgal brought his original 30lb siege gun and shot it in competition. Our team competes using a 6lb rifled howitzer.
Charlie Smithgall lives close enough that I can sometimes hear when he is firing. Must be when he fires that 3o lb.

Back