• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Moroccan Long Gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I Posted a similar gun over two years ago. Here's another one finished and ready to test fire. :haha: This one is much better quality than the earlier one Posted. Picture heavy, so hope you enjoy. Thanks for looking. Rick. :hatsoff:
Gun: Moroccan Mukahla long gun from the Tetuan (North Coastal) Region of Morocco. Early to Mid 19th Century. And typical of style in the region.
Lock: Snaphaunce copied in the Dutch style. One silver and three bone/horn inlays, and makers mark. New mainspring, internal pan opening arms, and frizzen spring made by Earl Kathan. You would never know the frizzen spring was not original to the gun. Incredible job! Lock works/sparks very well now.
Stock: Appears to be the typical walnut from the region. Butt stock made in the traditional three sections. Silver wire inlay behind the barrel tang.
Mounts: All brass, including the original engraved barrel bands. Most of the trigger guards on guns from this Region were iron. This one is brass. Less common.
Ramrod: The original was missing when I received the gun. So Earl used the "tip" of an original Moroccan ramrod that I had, and attached it to a 3/16" metal rod and cut 10X32 threads at the other end for accessories. Great job!
Barrel: Octagon at the breach for the first 15 1/4" fading to round, with two decorative wedding bands at the transition. 41" OAL not including the breech plug. Barrel has three stamps, two of which still retain the gold fill. New barrel liner by Bobby Hoyt in .55 caliber to allow use of .530 or .526 round balls. Original rear sight. New front sight by Earl Kathan. Light ingraving at the breech end. I firmly believe this is a European made barrel. Bobby Hoyt agreed. The breech plug and barrel threads were very well executed, and truly to European standards. I also believe the barrel and stock were shortened back in the period. Probable muzzle damage.
Later this week I'll Post a couple photos of the gun with original accountrements in usable condition. :)

I remember when these guns could be bought out of the back of gun magazines for little or nothing. It also seemed that every antique shop had one or two for sale, also for very little money. Actually I find them very interesting and a true representation of the craftsmanship of the gun makers from that part of the world. Sure they are crude, by modern standards but they were effective in use. I wish I had bought one of those back in the day.

My dad brought back a matchlock from Saudi Arabia when he worked there in the 70s. It was a thin-walled smoothbore about 5 1/2 ft. long with all kinds of silver and brass nails and tacks all over it. He bought it off a guy on a camel for $15 worth of cigarettes.

It looked like a surefire way to commit suicide .. and maybe murder too with only one shot. :surrender:

Oh, that is an amazing piece!! I'm not typically a fan of northern African arms, but this one speaks to me. :thumbsup:

Hi Mac. You are so right. The collector interest in these guns was, and still is very small. The collectors for Mid-East type weapons are primarily interested in the blades and armour. The old time antique gun dealers said they use to take these guns in on consignment only. :haha: These guns were used virtually unchanged for some 200 years. Which is probably the reason there are so many examples available. Combine that with the tiny collector market and you have a low pricing situation. There are exceptions. But they just never bring the value their American and European counterparts do. There are just not the collectors for them. Once they are made safe to shoot they are a blast. :haha: Thanks for the comments. Rick. :hatsoff:

:rotf: Hi Pato. I totally believe that story. :haha: The Saudis/Omanis were famous for decorating their guns with large amounts of silver. This practiced was continued even past the Martini-Henry era. Matchlocks were also in common use through the mid 1800's. They made their guns very light for use on horse/camel back through mountainous rugged terrain.
You NEVER want to fire one of these guns without a new barrel or liner. The quality of iron in the locally made barrels would be questionable at best. I would also worry that the original barrels were not cleaned properly after being shot. :hmm:

In fact, if it wasn't for Bobby Hoyt, I likely could not pursue this area of my interest in restoring these guns to firing condition again. :haha:

Rick. :hatsoff:

Hi Bill. Thanks. Yes, a Youtube video Range Report is long overdue. :redface: But now that projects are on hold (probably take 4 months to get the next barrel back from Bobby Hoyt), I should be able to get this done by the end of Summer. Need at least a dozen videos using different long guns and pistols. I've wanted to do this for a long time now, and this will finally be the year. One of the guys at my Club has a video camera and knows how to do it - and show me how at the same time. :haha: I can probably do two different guns on a weekend. Should be an interesting experiment. :haha:
Here's a pic of the gun with original accountrements including pouch, horn, and small priming flask. All in usable condition.

BillinOregon said:
Really, really appreciate your willingness to share these fascinating firearms, Ricky. Would sure love to see a Youtube of you giving one a workout at the range.

Fascinating indeed, great story and photos, thanks for sharing Ricky.

Great stuff Ricky, as always. You contribute so
much stuff to the Forum...Did you receive my reply
to your last request?

Hi Velocity. Thanks for the comments. These Ottoman and North African guns really are great fun to shoot. Very tribal like. :haha: I don't shoot with them as intentional as I do with Virginia type rifles and English/French smooth bores. I still view them as novelty type guns. But the shooting experience rates real high on the fun chart. :) With all the gunsmith work I have done to these guns, they likely shoot better than when first made.
One thing I didn't mention, was that the large vent hole in the barrel actually has a smaller 3/32nds hole in the liner portion. So the vent hole is not as large as it appears.
Anyway, thanks again. Rick. :hatsoff:

another great acquistion!

index5_zpsbb3a596a.jpg

the-arms-merchant_zps75027449.jpg

I once owned a Jezail that had British percussion lock with the HEAVIEST barrel. It was about 72 inches over all length and was about .50 cal but the barrel was so heavy and thick, i dont think it would be a question of safety to fire it. came with a bone and iron bipod. regret selling it

The Jazails with the bipods still attached are more difficult to locate for sale. And one with a recycled British Enfield percussion lock are really rare. I've only handled one. But I guess we've all owned guns we wish we had back. :(
I have this really cool, highly decorated Jazail, with a 50 1/2" smooth bore that is already .62 caliber. Like yours, it has thick barrel walls and a heavy breech. As long as the breech plug and threads check out OK, I should be able to just have the inside of the barrel burnished. It has an East India Company lock dated 1811. Yet another project. :haha: But this one will have to wait. The Albanian Tanchika carbine and an Indian matchlock are next in line. And I want to get some more shooting time in this Summer!! :haha:
If you like Jazails, you might want to check out a Post I made in May of last year under the "Gun Builders Bench" section of the Forum. It's a Jazail that was a real mess when I bought it. But had it completely restord with a .54 caliber liner in the original barrel. Has a 43 1/2" barrel and weighs only 8-lbs. Thanks again, Rick. :hatsoff:

Latest posts

Back