• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103
Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hatchet-Jack

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm starting a Moravian inspired build. I'll use this post as a build along.

The picture below is a photo of an Andrew Albrecht rifle. I scaled it up to make a pattern.

Checking the parts look right.
PXL_20220521_142600149.jpg

My friend and teacher cutting the pattern.

PXL_20220521_143243467.jpg

PXL_20220521_150648187.jpg

Cutting the basic shape of the stock
PXL_20220521_164256578.jpg

Last edited:
I once referred to myself and several siblings as "Bohemians". An aunt was not happy with that statement and told us that "We are Moravian not Bohemiam". For us who may not know,what is a Moravian style rifle?

Last edited:
A suggestion from an old guy that's built a bunch of Moravian rifles..........Most of your design features are top notch , with one suggestion......the toe of the butt plate needs to be more rotated toward the trigger guard , so the butt plate is more flat and the toe of the butt isn't pointed toward the under arm direction. The pointed back butt plate is a post 1820 feature , and should not be on an 1752 era rifle. You might look at some Moravian era pictures of rifles in books. No offence meant , to each his own...........just sayin"..........Other than the butt plate issue , looks like a capitol fine rifle...........oldwood :thumb:

A suggestion from an old guy that's built a bunch of Moravian rifles..........Most of your design features are top notch , with one suggestion......the toe of the butt plate needs to be more rotated toward the trigger guard , so the butt plate is more flat and the toe of the butt isn't pointed toward the under arm direction. The pointed back butt plate is a post 1820 feature , and should not be on an 1752 era rifle. You might look at some Moravian era pictures of rifles in books. No offence meant , to each his own...........just sayin"..........Other than the butt plate issue , looks like a capitol fine rifle...........oldwood :thumb:
OW thanks for the feedback but I've done my homework. The picture I made the pattern from above is of an original Albrecht. This one isn't quite as tilted and my butt plate is laying on top of the picture so maybe you didn't notice that. Look at the KRA #6F7C picture if you have the disc.

Edit: There's some nice pictures of it on this blog:
https://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/search?q=Moravian

Last edited:
Last edited:
Really interesting and organized build! Why won’t the lock work on this one.
By the way, you are blessed with a friend like you do. And his shop looks really clean and tidy, too 😊
Hey PFNC! Thanks I started researching everything I could find KRA discs, the Moravian book back in January.
As for the lock when we layed the lock plate on the pattern we found that the back of the plate doesn't sit centered pointing towards the side of the wrist and looked really weird. The reason is that big step these builders put under the wrist really angles it downward. It was an aha moment that's why they had those "banana" shaped locks! So I'll be using an RE Davis Colonial lock instead of the Deluxe Siler.
1653225081707.png

Yep Jeff keeps a tidy shop!

Hey PFNC! Thanks I started researching everything I could find KRA discs, the Moravian book back in January.
As for the lock when we layed the lock plate on the pattern we found that the back of the plate doesn't sit centered pointing towards the side of the wrist and looked really weird. The reason is that big step these builders put under the wrist really angles it downward. It was an aha moment that's why they had those "banana" shaped locks! So I'll be using an RE Davis Colonial lock instead of the Deluxe Siler.
View attachment 140744
Yep Jeff keeps a tidy shop!
Very interesting- doing that layout really pays off.
I am certainly not schooled in any manner about these rifles so I’m just thinking out loud here. I wonder if a Jaeger style lock might work as well since It has a strong banana curve. Also, since the Moravians were German speaking , I wonder if that style might be somewhat appropriate?
(BTW I have that Early American Davis lock on a rifle I made 30 years ago and it’s my favorite lock I think).
As an interesting side note, there is a restored, original Moravian settlement about 30 miles from where I live now which I just learned about. It’s called Old Salem and was founded by Moravians who came down the Old Wagon Road from Bethlehem PA in 1754 or so, just prior to the outbreak of hostilities down here in North Carolina of the French and Indian War. From the pictures I saw on the internet it reminds me if Colonial Williamsburg. I will be visiting it soon and checking out the Gunsmith shop. Hopefully they have a Moravian type rifle on display!
Looking forward to your continued postings!
-Bob

I am certainly not schooled in any manner about these rifles so I’m just thinking out loud here. I wonder if a Jaeger style lock might work as well since It has a strong banana curve. Also, since the Moravians were German speaking , I wonder if that style might be somewhat appropriate?
(BTW I have that Early American Davis lock on a rifle I made 30 years ago and it’s my favorite lock I think).
As an interesting side note, there is a restored, original Moravian settlement about 30 miles from where I live now which I just learned about. It’s called Old Salem and was founded by Moravians who came down the Old Wagon Road from Bethlehem PA in 1754 or so, just prior to the outbreak of hostilities down here in North Carolina of the French and Indian War. From the pictures I saw on the internet it reminds me if Colonial Williamsburg. I will be visiting it soon and checking out the Gunsmith shop. Hopefully they have a Moravian type rifle on display!
-Bob
I went down that path considering the Jaeger lock as well. If I recall the thought is the curve is to extreme for a Moravian wrist. The other one that Dave Person recommended is the Chris Laubach's Germanic lock. It's a bit pricy though but supposed to be a fantastic lock.
1653227197415.png

Wow you're right there in Moravian country. I would love to visit that area one day.

As an interesting side note, there is a restored, original Moravian settlement about 30 miles from where I live now which I just learned about. It’s called Old Salem and was founded by Moravians who came down the Old Wagon Road from Bethlehem PA in 1754 or so, just prior to the outbreak of hostilities down here in , thanks for your North Carolina of the French and Indian War. From the pictures I saw on the internet it reminds me if Colonial Williamsburg. I will be visiting it soon and checking out the Gunsmith shop. Hopefully they have a Moravian type rifle on display!
-Bob
I like your thinking about the shape of the lock, Germanic would be my guess too, makes sense right! Old Salem, I'll have to check that out some day, sounds like a neat place! Keep em coming!

Hatchet,
Much better choice of locks.
Flint everything you told me on my other post came true yesterday when we were laying out the pattern! It didn't make sense until I could see it "Aha!". We're thinking my B weight barrel and the larger lock such as the Davis Colonial will work and not loose too much wrist.
"barrel length is not as important as breech size. It should be a little larger to help get your wrist, etc right.
Look at Dave’s guns, and you’ll see what I mean.
Also, lock length is not as important as the heigh , again for the panel and wrist shape.
"

Wow you're right there in Moravian country. I would love to visit that area one day.
The Bethlehem, Pa area is the real Moravian area. Allentown, Bethlehem is where Albretch worked. BTW, Andy Griffin was raised in the Moravian church, in the Winston- Salem area of North Carolina. before he went Hollywood.

The Bethlehem, Pa area is the real Moravian area. Allentown, Bethlehem is where Albretch worked. BTW, Andy Griffin was raised in the Moravian church, in the Winston- Salem area of North Carolina. before he went Hollywood.
Yup, Andy was from Mount Airy. Its a great small town and we have a Moravian Church here.
The Moravians bought 110,000 acres back then. Almost all of Forsyth County.
I guess they didn't need the income generated from a gunstocker/builder like they did up in Christians Springs.

Back