• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Moose Permits

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone else apply for a Moose permit?

I applied in both Maine and Vermont. Odds are not great for a non-resident, but you can't draw one if you don't apply.

I drew a permit way back in 1982 when I lived in Maine. Would love to go again.

now is the time, I predict within 5 years we won't be hunting them due to tick infestation killing them. Zone 1-3 are the best but they are all the way to the top of the state. Sept bull season is the best.I have a camp in Greenville you can hunt 3 zones from and a camp in Andover you can hunt 3 zones from. You can kill moose in both these areas but the herd has been thinned hard. The state kill was 65% statewide.
I will let you stay in my camps or you can tent your choice, no charge. Also you can hunt in New Hampshire from my camp in Andover but their herd has taken a hit also.
If I can help any of you let me know, these are big animals and when they come to a call it's thrilling. I've killed a few with black powder and it's great, a lot of work but still fun. If I'm not hunting with someone I can help butcher it as I have a big cabelas meat grinder.
Good luck
Nit Wit

I'm in, guy at work got one last year, took him I wanna say 21 years as a non resident. Just keep trying....

Just put in for one in Montana. Have been getting nothing but points for my trouble, but I keep trying.

I killed a nice bull in northern Ontario back in 1979 with a .62 jager flintlock. Like was said, a lotta work but fun.

buckskinner.jpg

Dad and I put in each year for Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire. This year I can put in for NH as I got a permit in 2011. There is a three year wait after that.

I have been very lucky with NH as I have had three permits drawn since 2004.

I know for Maine I have a ton of preference points. I hope to get drawn as I am out of moose meat and I love moose meat.

CO has Shiras moose that was transplanted here some years ago. I have bumped into them while elk hunting, they don't run off. While horse back, I let Paladin graze on a small meadow with a bull. Exciting.
I'm in the lottery each year.......

I noticed in Wyoming years ago that the moose were all over the place and tame as can be .. until I drew a moose tag. Then the bulls all disappeared and all I ever saw were elk (no elk tag). All the game the elk hunters ever saw were moose.

It always works that way. :cursing:

Latest posts

Back