• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Drew a PA elk tag, gonna need a ton o’ practice 😳

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drawing a Pennsylvania elk tag, bull or cow, is a once in a lifetime event, if ever. Only 21 years passed of applying annually and accruing preference points before I drew a cow elk tag on Saturday. Immediately several friends called or texted me and basically said “I hate you, you lucky SOB.” But I had no trouble recruiting three friends to join me in the hunt.
Within 24 hours I was practicing with the rifle I’m most likely hunting with, weather permitting, a .62 caliber percussion made by Mark Wheland here in PA. Seven shots with the 335 grain ball pushed by 125 grains of Swiss FFG is about the limit my shoulder could absorb, and honestly, I expected to shoot much better than this. Last year the gun was grouping about 3” at 100 yards. Yesterday it’s about 8” at 75 yards. And it’s not the bow, it must be the Indian. Or my eyes. Gonna be a long end of summer getting dialed back in with this. The flyer at the bottom resulted from a bump to the adjustable rear sight, which moved it backwards. Tellin ya what…I am just rusty View attachment 157600
Wow! Good luck! Many people don't know that the Elk were totally gone in PA but back I think in the 1920's someone decided to import some from another Western (?) state and they've thrived up in good ol' Elk County, PA! You no doubt know more about it than I, but many on here will share your good fortune in this interesting hunting tale!

Wow! Good luck! Many people don't know that the Elk were totally gone in PA but back I think in the 1920's someone decided to import some from another Western (?) state and they've thrived up in good ol' Elk County, PA! You no doubt know more about it than I, but many on here will share your good fortune in this interesting hunting tale!
Hopefully we all get to enjoy here on this site a photo or two of a cow elk taken with a black powder percussion rifle made in central PA

Hard to see, but here is a small bull in the area i was telling you about while on a summer bike ride.
20180520_144501.jpg

Congrats on your tag, and have a fun, and memorable hunt. They are just awesome to watch.
We have taken many elk here in Colorado using a .50 cal. My best was 147 yds. dropped right there.
Of course now some genious at CPW came up with the brainstorm of uping the caliber from .50 to .54 for PRB for elk!!

Not sure when the hunt is, but if they’re rutting, you can get a lot closer than 100 yards.
Hunt is Monday October 31st to Saturday November 5th. Rut will be long over by then. Just about peak bugling right now. Been working on my elk calf distress call. So long as the weather is agreeable, the 62 percussion rifle is the firearm of choice. If we are successful, pictures will be posted here.

I’ve been wanting to do a fair chase bison hunt out west, and I just returned from Wyoming and Nebraska looking for places to hunt. Any suggestions are most welcome, thank you
Your best bet is to just google what you are looking for. Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, Idaho, New Mexico, are very good places to start. But they ain't cheap.

Your best bet is to just google what you are looking for. Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, Idaho, New Mexico, are very good places to start. But they ain't cheap.
I have done this internet search with no satisfying results. For three years I have combed the Great American Outdoor Show for guides, outfitters, landowners who provide fair chase bison hunts. There are only two that met my expectations: The subarctic-arctic woodland bison hunts in Alaska and Canada, and the bison hunts on several of the larger western Indian reservations. The arctic/ subarctic hunts are very difficult to get, even if you have the $30,000 in hand. Their waiting time is about five years. The Indian hunts are honest fair chase for wild, skittish bison, and so far I have had no luck even talking with any of them. Some have contracted with white outfitters, which I’m fine with, but I guess those guys are just as oversubscribed as everyone else I’ve contacted.

Back