• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Something a little Different

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for the kind words, Jim!

Summer sausage is a sausage that is either cooked, cured, or a combination of both, and can be stored at room temperature for a reasonable amount of time. It looks something like this.

81rzKab.jpg

Breakfast sausage is stored raw and might be stored in bags or in edible sausage casings. I use mine in chili or for biscuits and gravy.

PDmSvw4.jpg

mivd5X7.jpg

Darren
Yer killin me with those pics of the deer summer sausage & cheese & my countryboy heart loves some sausage gravy & biscuits. The beer & the dog are icing on the cake.

I've canned a couple deer a few years ago. It turned the toughest buck I've ever shot into tender chunks. But mainly I've gone to what Eric K is doing, deboning and laying the meat between layers of ice in a large cooler. I've keep it in that for up to 7 days without needing to replenish the ice. Allows convenience when I have the time to process. Last year, between my son and I we cut up 5 deer and filled gallon ziploc bags with chunks to freeze for the grinder. Then we had time in February to pull the bags out of the freezer to thaw and ground 230 lbs for burger, season for sausage and meat sticks in the dehydrator. All that is bagged into the bags purchased specifically for venison. I'll fry up a few tenderloin steaks on occasion, as well. Between family and friends it doesn't go to waste.

I usually get 2-3 deer a year. I give one to family and friends who will not waste the meat. I debone it all, vacuum seal in 1lb bags and freeze. I also make a variety of sausage. In addition I get one hog on average a year and do the same processing. I like to use the fatty hog parts to mix in with the venison sausage, both links and crumble. I harvested one turkey this spring and seem to think that may become a routine. I get a real pleasure out of the whole process. I was thinking of trying some meat canning and after reading all this I probably will give it a shot. One last thing, I try to hang the skinned deer for 1-2 weeks in the garage if the temperature permits. I find that makes the meat taste much better.

I'm the only one who eats it up here. The wife won't go near it but oddly enough she jumps into the woods to help me with a tough drag. Gotta love her.
I take one a year most years. If I shoot a big one, it's all I need. I prefer to hang it for up to 5 days weather permitting, then put the quarters in a barn fridge for another 5 days. Final butchering in the kitchen, usually on non-hunting Sundays up here, with football on the tv. Steaks, medallions, roasts, stew and ground. Much goes for chili and sausage.
Here's a tip if you can't afford an upgrade in your processing equipment. Keep an eye on Cabela's bargain cave. If grandpa gets a grinder, doesn't want it, sends it back it ends up there at a deep discount, not on the shelf again. I got my huge sausage stuffer new in box that way. Marked down from $300 I grabbed it at $99.
Aiming for the next one this weekend.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
You
I usually get 2-3 deer a year. I give one to family and friends who will not waste the meat. I debone it all, vacuum seal in 1lb bags and freeze. I also make a variety of sausage. In addition I get one hog on average a year and do the same processing. I like to use the fatty hog parts to mix in with the venison sausage, both links and crumble. I harvested one turkey this spring and seem to think that may become a routine. I get a real pleasure out of the whole process. I was thinking of trying some meat canning and after reading all this I probably will give it a shot. One last thing, I try to hang the skinned deer for 1-2 weeks in the garage if the temperature permits. I find that makes the meat taste much better.
You are so right on on all counts about the fresh meat! I just started canning. Do it! Delicious and fresh. You can pre-make stews, roasts, links and patties that you just dump in a pan and warm. Also, you don't have to worry about food storage. Sustainable everyday/emergency food. Organic!

Thank you for the kind words, Jim!

Summer sausage is a sausage that is either cooked, cured, or a combination of both, and can be stored at room temperature for a reasonable amount of time. It looks something like this.

81rzKab.jpg

Breakfast sausage is stored raw and might be stored in bags or in edible sausage casings. I use mine in chili or for biscuits and gravy.

PDmSvw4.jpg

mivd5X7.jpg

Darren
I like your dog .

Back