• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2022 Moose Lottery

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Made my annual donations to the Maine and New Hampshire Fish and Game Departments. Otherwise known as the Moose Permit Lottery.

Not great odds for a non-resident, but you can't draw one if you don't apply.

When I was looking at potential canoe trips and Moose hunts/outfitters in Maine recently, I ran across one place that has a "skip the lottery" guaranteed, limited lodge hunt tag... Going price is a paltry, $16,500..... I don't think I want a moose hunt that badly.

In 1999 I "won" the Minnesota moose lottery after putting in for seven years. Scouted the area for six weeks. Three of us in the party. My friend shot the bull ten minutes into the season. Later said "The horns looked a lot bigger in the scope". Took us all day to butcher it and haul it out in backpacks over 3/4 mile of cutover slash. Five hundred-thirty-one pounds of delicious, wonderful venison. Tom

1st time I applied to ME in 97 got my tag. Everyone in the family has drawn NH tags but with the amount being put out now in NH we pass as all shot our moose. 1 was enough for me as I would rather see others get the chance.

Maine so many buy every chance allowed so I also pass there. Powerball win I would hunt there again on the auction tag I would buy.

I will never enter Canada again.

I watch the lottery every year on-line. When my name doesn't get called, I always say enough is enough I'm not applying anymore. It's even more frustrating when you hear the same names or families over and over. One year the husband, next year the wife, then a brother, etc.

And then February/March rolls around and I apply again.

I watch the lottery every year on-line. When my name doesn't get called, I always say enough is enough I'm not applying anymore. It's even more frustrating when you hear the same names or families over and over. One year the husband, next year the wife, then a brother, etc.

I feel your pain! I have been drawn once here in Maine, but I have killed a few moose as sub-permittee!
Nit Wit

I drew one as a resident during the second ever season way back in 1982. Not great odds for a non-resident, but Maine residents should get the greater number of permits. I have also long agreed that Opening Day of firearms deer season should continue to be residents only.

sounds like Marylands bear lottery, guess ya gotta have connections with the game and fish depts, and probaly deep pockets helps. Put in for Md. bear tags from the very beginning and run into the same situation you mentioned, I see bears where I hunt deer every year,finally went to northern Ontario the bear is on my wall.

Lot of names in the same family in Maine with very big families at that. I know wife and my families are from Maine.

Back