• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Molybdenum disulfide

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just an observation . I have noticed that in most all of the boards and sites that I visit like this question , very few want to deal with the question just but post replies that have nothing to do with it , but instead , get out their hobby horse and for what reason .... It is disappointing and really serves no real purpose except raise the temperature of those who would like to hear from those who may have some real experience of the subject raised .. Rob

Just an observation . I have noticed that in most all of the boards and sites that I visit like this question , very few want to deal with the question just but post replies that have nothing to do with it , but instead , get out their hobby horse and for what reason .... It is disappointing and really serves no real purpose except raise the temperature of those who would like to hear from those who may have some real experience of the subject raised .. Rob

Ironic.

So - comments suggesting that a modern lubricant isn't necessary for a muzzleloader are off-topic? This site is about traditional muzzleloading...

As you should know by now, talking about some modern things is permitted outside of the "Re enacting" area on the forum. Different lubricants are one of those modern things. That's why we can talk about Bore Butter, WD-40, Ballistol, and Hoppe's No 9 Black Powder Solvent, just to name a few.

We also talk about ceramic and cut flints, stainless steel nipples and vent liners, electric lead melting pots and aluminum bullet molds.

None of these things are traditional and none of them date to times prior to 1865.

That is the way the Muzzleloading Forum has been for over 15 years and that is the way it will continue to be.

As you should know by now, talking about some modern things is permitted outside of the "Re enacting" area on the forum. .

Did someone say they weren't permitted? I must have missed that.
My argument is that moly in lube is unnecessary, messy and non-beneficial.
The only possible benefit I see from the addition of molybdenum disulfide to grease on a muzzleloader would aesthetic in nature. If black shiny lube is your thing, enjoy.

I think the point that molly lubes wern't necessary and were overkill was well made some time ago but there is no reason not to use them. I mean if someone wants to commute in a Bently rather than a Pinto is there a problem with that? Both will get you there (well most of the time in the Pinto :) ) it's just a matter of personal choice.

I think the point that molly lubes wern't necessary and were overkill was well made some time ago but there is no reason not to use them.

it's just a matter of personal choice.

There certainly are reasons. very good reasons.
You are right though, it does boil down to personal choice. I just want people to have as much information available as possible so they can make an informed choice.

I've stopped using Molly for everything. It seems to have brought me nothing but headaches. I no longer use it on anything gun related or on machinery or moving parts. I have a theory based on my observation from using moly grease. I think moly is added to many substandard greases as a way of boosting their test performance. But in real world applications it seems to fail before other greases.
Just my opinion.

There certainly are reasons. very good reasons.
You are right though, it does boil down to personal choice. I just want people to have as much information available as possible so they can make an informed choice.

I've stopped using Molly for everything. It seems to have brought me nothing but headaches. I no longer use it on anything gun related or on machinery or moving parts. I have a theory based on my observation from using moly grease. I think moly is added to many substandard greases as a way of boosting their test performance. But in real world applications it seems to fail before other greases.
Just my opinion.
what were the problems you encountered?

" I have a theory based on my observation from using moly grease. I think moly is added to many substandard greases as a way of boosting their test performance. But in real world applications it seems to fail before other greases.
Just my opinion.[/QUOTE]"

I honestly hadn't thought of molly being added to substandard grease but I can see how it might lead to them being approved for an application for which they were unsuited and I do believe that some less scrupulous manufacturers do just that. I always buy name brand lube that I am familiar with. In the case of the wheel bearings in a race car driven 200 MPH I would want only the very best. The wheel bearings in a car driven 700 miles at 70 MPH are subject to a lot of heat and need a specialized grease too and yes wheel bearing grease differs from chasis grease or multipurpose grease. There are many specialized lubricants that will work fine on a gun lock but aren't needed.

Carbon 6 I just reread some of your posts in this thread and it seems that we both agree that gun locks don't require hitech lubricants. Over a lifetime I have used sewing machine oil, chasis grease, lithium and other base greases, teflon greases and sprays, super duper gun lubes and I don't remember what else and haven't seen any problems with any of them. I think the most important thing is to keep dirt out of the parts and keep it lubed.

Last edited:
Yep!, I think we agree.
I've followed this thread from the start and had decided to stay out of the fray, but discretion has apparently deserted me. I use this product on a daily basis. It is good for what it is specified for in my work. It is required by the US Army as a warm weather lubricant for the Mk19 40mm machine gun feed tray, round positioning mechanisms, breechblock internal and external surfaces. Beyond that, it has no value to me as a lubricant for normal applications. It is dirty and permanently stains everything it comes in contact with. I have no position on HC/PC. I'll leave that for others.

reading about Molybdenum found and interesting note in the introduction to
MOLYBDENUM DISULPIDE AS A LURRICANT: A KEVIEb’ OF THE FUNDAMENTAL KNOWLEDGE* https://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstream/handle/2027.42/33266/0000658.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y in the intoduction is says ...The use of molybdenum disulfide as a dry lubricant apparently dates back several centuriesl. It was often mistaken for graphite because of its similar appearance and physical behavior. this was from a paper written in 1966 an noted in footnotes I D. H. KILLEFFER AND D. LINZ, Molybdenum Compounds: Their Chemistry and Technology, Interscience Publishers, New York, 1952. what that means this is not a modern lubricant

Back