• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Molybdenum disulfide

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems if you want to enjoy what those in the past had then you make your own flints, cast your own lead balls from lead you found in the natural state, gun powder you bought by the keg and maybe even your flints. You have only animal fats for lube and oiling, you make your own cloths, you grow most of what you eat, cut wood to keep the fireplace going in the winter and to cook in the summer, have greased cloth in the windows if you have any windows. You might have a horse to get around with or you walk everyplace you go. You hunt for all your meat or fish for it. This is how those in the past did it.
Now if you have any of the modern stuff like electricity, gas to heat or cook with, have a refrigerator,freezer, glass windows, insulation in the walls and ceiling, doors that lock with a key, travel in vehicle to get around then you are not living like those in the past did so can you understand their hardships or life style?
I use modern things and yes some of the old stuff if I can find it at a price I can afford. Does that mean I don't understand how they lived in the past? My parents taught us kids how to grow a garden and put up what we grew for the winter, many today can't even do that. I heated with wood and coal for years, even used electricity for everything the horrors of doing such a thing. I have built my own house once. I get around with diesel vehicles and I even like to do such makes going long distances a little less of a hassle.
What all this boils down to is we all have different experiences of what works in all aspects of life even shooting muzzle loaders. Not everyone can afford real black powder so should we shun them? Should we shun if they use lead balls that are made in a factory? don't wear clothes that are period correct? cook and sleep as they did in the past? I like reading about the many different aspects of what was done in the past and how close I can get to that with the resources that I have to work with.

To reiterate once again, this has nothing to do with historical correctness or the past because Molybdenum disulfide was not used as a lubricant during the muzzleloading era.

Folks can use it today if they want to, but they should be educated to know that it offers no benefit above or beyond a lubricant that does not contain it, for the purpose of lubricating a lock.

It will not help anything or hurt anything other than your nice clean clothing should you happen to get some on it.

OP: Yes I do. I have a little container of Moly bore prep paste. It was from a moly bullet kit. On high friction areas, like where a spring bears on a tumbler, it does make a difference. Yes it is messy. The tiniest dab is enough.

. On high friction areas, like where a spring bears on a tumbler, it does make a difference. .

I have not found or conducted any testing that has proven your assertion to be verifiable and scientifically true. I would be very much interested in any scientific data that you have corroborating your statement.
The spring /tumbler bearing surface is not a "high friction area" deemed necessary for the application of molybdenum disulfide. The friction pressure coefficient does not exceed the parameters of standard lubricant.

IMHO it does make some parts run smoother than just oil.

Areas with lots of pressure and soft steel, tend to gall. This would also include installing and fitting breech plugs. Using moly can be very helpful. IF you gall the threads on a plug when fitting them you have a big problem.

IMHO it does make some parts run smoother than just oil.

Areas with lots of pressure and soft steel, tend to gall. This would also include installing and fitting breech plugs. Using moly can be very helpful. IF you gall the threads on a plug when fitting them you have a big problem.

Your opinion Is anecdotal.
High carbon lock parts aren't that prone to galling. But, plain old WD-40 will do the job.
For serious galling you need something like a zinc based anti-seize lube.
NOT Molybdenum disulfide.
Again, it is the base lube doing the protecting, not the moly. plain old mineral oil, wax or basically any lube will prevent galling under lock type conditions.

I think we are saying the same thing. I put the date out there as several PC people seem to feel on wat was used during their time period...I started using it on my locks to reduce friction on the moving parts after polishing them I have both dry an a grease

Prior to the American revolution, production of things like gunpowder, lead, firearms, etc... in the colonies was highly controlled by the King of England. Most powder was imported.
So making your own then would likely have been illegal, just as it would be today.
I think that you will find it was Parliament that made the laws not the King. There was a slight difference of opinion about it mid 17th century which ended up with beheading the King and England becoming a republic. Thus, as an English colony, America also became a republic. So the modern USA is the 2nd American Republic and the ACW was the 3rd American Civil War (adding in the ARW as a civil war which it was).

was highly controlled by the King of England. Most powder was imported.
So making your own then would likely have been illegal, just as it would be today.

Um I think you would find that sulfur was pretty much a product of Italy during the 18th century, and saltpetre production, wasn't done on a very large scale in the colonies, so The King or Parliament didn't need to regulate its being made in the British colonies. As a matter of fact one of the main reasons India was a target at the end of the 18th century for the British was saltpetre. ;)

As for being "illegal" to make now ?? That's really more of a local jurisdiction type situation. Probably not a good thing in an apartment building, but in a single family home, and perhaps even in a townhome, might not be illegal at all, depending on where one lives (I'm guessing New Jersey would frown on it, but West Virginia ???) You probably have more of a chance of being in violation of storage restrictions for store-bought powders than for making your own BP.

A simple "double rock tumbler" from Harbor Freight, and some antimony balls, and you're all set to grind up your own ingredients.

LD

Thanks Dave,
The main point I was trying to make was that almost all powder was imported. In 1775 there was only one American gunpowder mill, the Frankford Mill in Pennsylvania. It only produced a tiny amount of poor quality powder. If it were not for the French, we would not have had enough powder to wage war.
As for being illegal, I want to keep my arms and fingers. I based what I said on this. https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/making-black-powder.43596/

I think you will find that the majority of members take shortcuts on their PC stuff, starting with the guns. Shouldn't be an issue in the majority of the cases.

I think you will find that the majority of members take shortcuts on their PC stuff, starting with the guns. Shouldn't be an issue in the majority of the cases.
Bear grease in the barrel and Bear oil in the lock. My shortcut is getting warm water from the faucet instead of heating in my cup over a fire when cleaning...

Bear grease in the barrel and Bear oil in the lock. My shortcut is getting warm water from the faucet instead of heating in my cup over a fire when cleaning...
..., and maybe not riding your horse to the range, or the event, or to work (or when you worked if you're retired), and using a car instead? ;) ...:D....

LD

Seems if you want to enjoy what those in the past had then you make your own flints, cast your own lead balls from lead you found in the natural state, gun powder you bought by the keg and maybe even your flints. You have only animal fats for lube and oiling, you make your own cloths, you grow most of what you eat, cut wood to keep the fireplace going in the winter and to cook in the summer, have greased cloth in the windows if you have any windows. You might have a horse to get around with or you walk everyplace you go. You hunt for all your meat or fish for it. This is how those in the past did it.
Now if you have any of the modern stuff like electricity, gas to heat or cook with, have a refrigerator,freezer, glass windows, insulation in the walls and ceiling, doors that lock with a key, travel in vehicle to get around then you are not living like those in the past did so can you understand their hardships or life style?
I use modern things and yes some of the old stuff if I can find it at a price I can afford. Does that mean I don't understand how they lived in the past? My parents taught us kids how to grow a garden and put up what we grew for the winter, many today can't even do that. I heated with wood and coal for years, even used electricity for everything the horrors of doing such a thing. I have built my own house once. I get around with diesel vehicles and I even like to do such makes going long distances a little less of a hassle.
What all this boils down to is we all have different experiences of what works in all aspects of life even shooting muzzle loaders. Not everyone can afford real black powder so should we shun them? Should we shun if they use lead balls that are made in a factory? don't wear clothes that are period correct? cook and sleep as they did in the past? I like reading about the many different aspects of what was done in the past and how close I can get to that with the resources that I have to work with.
Makes what we do kinda silly don’t it? I do hand sew my clothing I take to treks and events. Like to stay with eighteenth/ nineteenth century foods and cooking styles when I’m at an event or in a trek. I make old fashion ships bread salt pork and puddings to take when I’m out. I use animal fats on my gun. I try real hard to have correct equipment, in my camp, on me, and for my guns.
I strike a light, or use a burning glass, eat with a horn spoon and smoke in a clay pipe.
However... some times my foods out of season, there is a modren first aid kit in my gear and my glasses are modren glass cut to a standard higher then most glasses got to in the old days. Mysmoke is an English blend, yet to be invented in my times and not popular inAmerica until the twentieth century.
What I use works, I don’t have a call to change it, what you do with your gun is your business. I would be surprised to find it an improvement. However, your the only one you have to please with what you do.

Some say as if the natural fats are hard to come by or something??

They’re not.

Sure, whale’s oil or bar’s fat isn’t the easiest to come across, but things like deer’s tallow and beeswax and some others are easy to find and all mentioned have historical provenance, plus make a GREAT lube!! I’m in the game to play “old school” and do it how they used to. If looking for the easiest out then I’ll grab one of my unmentionables, but I do this smoke polin’ stuff because it’s authentic and fun!!!

I am willing to bet that even the most die-hard and disciplined PC folks among us are using modern automobiles to drive to where ever it is they exercise this hobby. At the end of the day's hunt, climb back in the truck, turn on the heat, and drive home. Then, there probably weren't a whole lot of guys in the 18th and 19th century discussing blackpowder on internet forums. So we're all using modern technology in one way or another to participate in this sport, just no way around that.

One of the few areas that I consider it OK to "cheat" a little with modern technology are products that will preserve my firearms. I'll use whatever modern products do the best job to protect and preserve my blackpowder investments so that generations after me can enjoy them without a second thought to PC. Having said that, I have never tried molly grease, but have success with ballistol on my lock.

Recently I unintentionally slopped ballistol all over the business side of my frizzen after cleaning, and neglected to remove it. A few days later I dry-fire the lock and got a great shower of sparks. Then I remembered I never removed the excess ballistol.

Oils of all kinds were a huge industry. Animal and plant based oils. Oil was not only used for lubricants, but it was also used for cooking, paints, and lighting. All kinds of plant oils were used. Drying oils like linseed were used in paints, sweet oils like olive and sunflower could be used for cooking or medicine.
One of the largest types of oil produced and mostly forgotten was fish oil.
Oil of any kind or source was a valuable resource. As the industrial revolution began in the later 18th century, the demand for oils skyrocketed.

I am willing to bet that even the most die-hard and disciplined PC folks among us are using modern automobiles to drive to where ever it is they exercise this hobby. At the end of the day's hunt, climb back in the truck, turn on the heat, and drive home. Then, there probably weren't a whole lot of guys in the 18th and 19th century discussing blackpowder on internet forums. So we're all using modern technology in one way or another to participate in this sport, just no way around that.

One of the few areas that I consider it OK to "cheat" a little with modern technology are products that will preserve my firearms. I'll use whatever modern products do the best job to protect and preserve my blackpowder investments so that generations after me can enjoy them without a second thought to PC. Having said that, I have never tried molly grease, but have success with ballistol on my lock.

Recently I unintentionally slopped ballistol all over the business side of my frizzen after cleaning, and neglected to remove it. A few days later I dry-fire the lock and got a great shower of sparks. Then I remembered I never removed the excess ballistol.
I don’t understand the comparisons to modren life to the hobby of living history. For a little bit I transfer my self to a past time. I live my life in the heat and now.
The military boys go to great lengths to get their camps uniforms and equipment just so... but drive across country to join the march some where.
If we could go back in time, many would die of what’s today minor medical condition. We could get glasses but unlikely any where near matching today’s. I like much of the food of the time, but after a month back then I would miss having a pizza or taco Tuesday, I would miss my choice of beer.
Yes my barrel is modren steel, my wood screws modren, and my shoes are fitted with a rubber non slip soles. I do however make an effort to treat my guns equipment and camp right. Ido make an effort to imitate what they did. As a hobby. On monday I still have to go to work.
The fact is they would laugh at us and happy trade their great coat for a Walmart nylon and down, a Issiac Hains for a modren hunting gun. I don’t think that’s the point of our hobby.

What I like most about how our ancestors lived is the fact they did live and enjoyed life of their times. I see us today as really only grasping at the past in hopes some how we can better understand what it was like back then. I really enjoy when I get the chance to out and pop some caps and make some smoke with an old firearm by today's standard. My ancestors came here from the old world and some of them came here thousands of years ago. I would love to sit down and talk with them about life in their age. I would like to talk to some of the greats of this country in decades past also. Next time you are sitting by the camp fire throw some tobacco into the fire and say a pray for all those who came before us.

Latest posts

Back