• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Modern Day Mtn-Man

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My buddy told me that his wild uncle took his family to Canada. After the kids were grown, he said he was packing up and moving into the mountains and they never heard from him since (3 years now). He always wanted to play outdoorsman. Maybe he had a girlfriend on the side and wanted to leave the wife? :eek:

arnt there a few places left here in the USA that still allow hermiting? I swear I heard something along those lines once.

Kyle

Hota, you might be interested in the saga of Claude Dallas. He's serving a life sentence for killing a couple of wildlife agents in Idaho or maybe Montana. He was a cowboy who tried to spend part of his time actually living the life of a trapper, hunter, and mountain man and found that even in some of the most remote country in the US the government reached out and found him. I'll bet you can find the book at amazon if you do a search for a title with his name.

If at first you don't secede, try, try again.

I thought it was more than just alaska?? oh well, its not something I plan on doing even though I think it would be great sometimes. usually thats when I sober up LOL

Thanks for the info on the book.

I just found out that I missed the PBS specicial Alone in the Wilderness not once but TWICE this weekend. DAMN! :curse:

A live aboard boat in Prince William Sound Alaska, many, many uninhabited islands. Deer, (will never forget the hunting on Green Island, four legal deer in about as many minutes) goat and sheep, fish and more fish, crabs, shrimp (need pots for these two) and clams at any low tide.

We left Alaska back in 76, but Alaska never left me. Just too old for it now, not to mention my wife of the last 45 years won't hear of going back.

I just saw a show last night on PBS about a guy named Dick Proemmeke.

This show was the most inspiring thing I have seen or heard in a LONG time. Absolutely fabulous!

Best,

John

Bought a couple of books on how to make cabins the old way and how to dig a well and primitive septics and all that.

Someone actually wrote a book on how to dig a Well? :huh:

Hota, you might be interested in the saga of Claude Dallas. He's serving a life sentence for killing a couple of wildlife agents in Idaho

Dallas was actually released from prison just a few weeks ago....to the joy of many and to the dismay of others.

Best,

JohnTheGreek

Mornin all, got to readin these post and then got to rememberin,, I crossed the mountain twice on horse back in my younger days, both back in the 70's.. First time was in Washington state, I was up there for bout 4 or 5 months, Met some great people, Went for a week or two with out seain anyone, Was just goin east and north,, as much as I could go,, Had more food out there then you have in a super market,, The next time I rode round Arizona for a month and a half,, Had my cousin with me that time,, Both times I would hit a town now and again and would find a lady that would take me home and feed me and wash my close, Would stay for a few days,, ( 3 was the most I ever stayed any where) But after a while both times I found out my horse would only laugh at my jokes for so long then it was time to be round people,, I lived in California for 40 years or so then headed back here in Kentucky , Had a guy ask me one time up in Washington if I ever got lost ridin round,, I told him, "I wasn't goin no where" He said he under stood that,, I now am retired and just takin it easy,, Had the Mennonites built this line shack, they call in a cabin here,, it's only 16 x 30 but my lady and I like it,, We still have horse's,, don't think I will ever be without em,, My line shack
painted.jpg

was on a board that asked what was the dumbest thing any one ever did,, I added this to it,, Hope you all don't mind me takin up so much room,, just got to rememberin,, and at 57 years old, it was kinda nice,,
> The dumbest we ever done, huh ?? And you boys think what you did was dumb,, HA !! , Boys, grab a beer and have a set, let me tell you a story,,,,,

On my first trip over the mountain, this was in 73 I think, I rode darn near across Washington state on horse back. I spent 2 week's goin through the gorge, and it rain every day and I think it rained all day and all night those two week's,, I was headin east, ( what other way could I go, huh ? I had a big river to my right and a Canada to my left) After I got through the RR tunnel
and we won't even go there,,,, the light was red,, it was green on the other side when I started, so I had to get off the side of the mountain I was on,, There was no time to think bout it,, I got off the mountain, and it was DOWN to do it,, You ain't never,, even back here in Kentucky,, seen tree's so close together, callin this a knee knocker trail ain't even close to what it was,, ( now ,, be fore I go any farther, I am goin to tell you THIS IS NOT A BS STORY,, you asked,,, I'm tellin) after I get to the bottom there is a lake,, I ain't goin back up to the tracks, you can't sea that far ahead to know if another train is commin, and I didn't know the tunnel was there to start with, I had a map and was goin to a town for supplies,, But, they built a dam and the town was not there any more, they say it is, it's just under water,, anyway, I got to cross the lake, It's only bout 5 or 600 yd's so I cross it, My horse is tired and I know it, so I get a log, tie all my gear on it,, tie a bowline round his neck and we swim cross it, We get to the other side and we are really spent so I hobbled my horse, make camp, set up tent, got fire wood, make a fire, (after startin fire's in the gorge, I swear I can get rock's to burn, wet one's ) made grub and went to bed, I was spent,, Now comes the dumb part,, Durin the night my horse's snorting wakes me up,, then I hear CLUMP,CLUMP CLUMP, and it's gettin closer, I am tired, wet and not in a good mood, and NOT thinkin to well,, so, like a real DUMMY, I stay in my tent, in my bag and just stick my arm out the door and fire off my 45,, a colt 45, I can't hear nothin now, and I get real scared, I just figured out what a dumb thing I did, That was way passed dumb,, But the Lord look's after what ?? saddles tramp's and horse's,, I don't think that's how the sayin goes, but it will do for now,, I figure by the sound , it was a bear,, a big one, and lucky for me it left, I NEVER did or ever will, do that again,, I remember that feelin,, always will, Like I said, that was my first time, and I learnt a lot on that one, I don't think that was the dumbest thing I did on that trip, But it's the only on I will admit to,,
0k.. i'll quit now,,,
http://members.isp.com/[email protected]/cowboyup/cowboyup.html
Mod's,, if I got carried away, let me know,,

Latest posts

Back