• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Modern Day Mtn-Man

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone on the forum given up the daily life and put his skills to the test? I mean really gave it all up and headed for the high country. Quit his/her job, sold the house, etc? I am interested in hearing folk's stories of things they learned, things they loved, things they miss, why they came back, how long they managed, how modern independant they lived (lived on horseback w/ tent or built a cabin etc), I have read in the backwoodsman stories about guys like dugout dick who lives as a modern mtn-man and would just like to hear similar stories. As much as I dream about doing it, with my three kids and wife that I think are tied to certain aspects of modern life such as electricity and TV, I don't think that I will ever get that type of opportunity. I find myself searching out every movie, book and magazine article that potentially contains a smidgen of life in the wilderness.

In the army as a scout we would go on 9 month FTX's (feild training exercises) where we stayed in the bush for 9 months at a time, similar to the navy and their sea excursions. Much to modern to be qualified as a mtn-man experience, but as close to a mtn-man experience I will probably ever have, with the exception of vacations and eventual retirement!

I was hoping to learn about folk's personal endeavours/adventures rather than military war stories but all responses are welcome.

What's your take?

Yeah, tried the drop-out-of-society thing a couple of times. Lived in a tipi in the National Forest at several locations in Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico. You're only supposed to stay two weeks at any one camp site but I found the Forest Service didn't bother me so long as I stayed way back off the beaten path and caused them no problems. I'd find a good spot and stay about 6 weeks. Had a small home-made wood stove in the tipi and with flaps closed around the triple wall stove pipe it was cozy at twenty below.
I tried to live-off-the-land as far as meat, but I'd make a trip in to Safeway for flower, corn meal, beans, potatoes, cabbage, coffee, sugar and such.
I did have a couple of muzzleloaders with me but I found a scope sighted .22 to be far more practical. I had not much use for a shotgun, I love wingshooting as a sport, but for makin-meat, quiet stalking with a .22 will more likely fill the pot. .22's also kill more deer than any other caliber, maybe more than ALL other calibers in certain locations. I reckon it goes without sayin that "subsistence hunting" is not always in complete accord with the law and a .22 don't call the law near so loud as any other firearm.
Yeah, I had all the comforts of home in my camp except one. The reason I came back? GOT HORNY! :curse: :curse:!

Hota, while it sound like fun, I don't think you need to do the drop out thing. At larger primitive rendezvous there are many craftsmen there plying their skills and sharing with any that wish it. I've watched a man making oak buckets by hand with a draw knife and wooden mallet, I;ve taught horn making.

The AMM might be a good group for you to contact as they do it the 'old fashioned way'. You'll find the mountain men were really practical in everything they did, and often, when you find out how simple it was through their tricks of the trade, to do things we now find hard, you'll laugh at yourself.

Nothing teaches like reenacting.

Good luck on your journey.

Thanks Lodgekiller. Believe me, with my wife and kids 3, 5, and 7 I was 99% not about to try which is why I stick to vacations and rondys/trade shows. I just wondered if anyone just walked away like in the Wilderness Family movies. I guess if they did and either suceeded happily or failed miserably, they wouldn't be online to talk about it. I would expect to here from only those who tried and returned for whatever reason. And through those stories see if my 99% moved a percentage point or two. :peace:

Good advice. Also take a look at Frontier folk. They have a trekking forum there. Very knowledgeable on the subject.

I tried, but I didn't catch the connecting bus and would have to walk across a bad part of town in the dark. So, I went home instead. :what:

You should read this book:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0...5489590-4690205
(Scroll down to read reviews by other readers.)

A true story, some funny misadventures. The Amazon description says it happened in 1990, but that's incorrect, it was 1978. I've read it several times, as it really struck a chord with me. I'm the type that would jump at the opportunity to do what he did without giving it a second thought. But with raising a family, it's not something I can see myself doing anytime soon. But the book is great reading. It also includes a map so you can pinpoint where he lived in the Bitterroot mountains.

I used to know this guy called "Wild Bill" who lives in a cabin he built on the upper green north of Cora, Wyoming. Wild Bill dropped out after returning from Viet Nam. His mother gave him some land, and probably supported him off and on. He makes great period-correct clothing and gear, and uses skins he harvests himself. He has no electricity or indoor plumbing, but it is a beautiful cabin nonetheless. He stores moose meat under the floor. A college girl stayed with him for about a year, it was really heartwarming to see this old white bearded coon with a 20-something mountain berry. If Wild Bill is still out there, I'd like to see him again. I hope the girls keep taking an interest in his ways until he goes under.

I just saw a show last night on PBS about a guy named Dick Proemmeke. He moved to Alaska in the late 60's and built a cabin including furnishings using only hand tools.He lived there for 30 something years until he was in his 80's. The show is available on video and soon to be on DVD. It was titled Alone in the Wilderness.

I just saw a show last night on PBS about a guy named Dick Proemmeke. He moved to Alaska in the late 60's and built a cabin including furnishings using only hand tools.He lived there for 30 something years until he was in his 80's. The show is available on video and soon to be on DVD. It was titled Alone in the Wilderness.

I saw that too...very interesting...unbelieveable amount of work to do alone...but of course the guy running the video camera may have pitched in occasionally... ::
still, it was edited the way we wish we could go and do it ourselves...

Just finished reading "Indian Creek Chronicles, A winter In The Bitterroot Wilderness." I got it from the library and finished it in 2 nights reading. It is actually a pretty good story and he does have a Hawken rifle and a cap and ball revolver. Not something i would want to try at my age. Maybe when i was his age i would have though. I was definately dumb enough back then to try it. ::

Hota
The house I have here in Pa is one I actually built out of ruff sawed hemlock lumber and I built it entirely with a chainsaw.
The told the electric company that I would like to get some temp electric hooked up after the frame/roof/sideing ect was on.
The inspector came up to the site and said I needed to have permenant electric not temp hooked up.
he then asked how I built what I had done so far, with a generator? I told him with a power saw. He asked an electric saw?
I told him no ,and he asked what kind then. I told him I was looking for one right now that there is a couple of them laying around here somewhere. I said right there behind you is one and when he turned and looked at a 66 Stihl sitting there he about $hit.
He then hung around and watched me mark some boards with a square and then cut them to size on the pencil line with the Stihl and said he wouldn't have believed it if he didn't see it himself.
When the crew showed up to finally hook the power up they all asked if this is the house that a guy built with a chainsaw. I told them they found the right house. They looked all around at the house and seemed to be in disbelief.
Once again I started to mark and cut baords and told them the power will sure help with the inside finish work. Man did they get a kick out of that remark.

Woody

Now thats awesome Woodhick, That is exactly what we wanted to do on our property in Tioga county (Hamilton). Never got to do it, sold the ground since then. Bought a couple of books on how to make cabins the old way and how to dig a well and primitive septics and all that. Was going to be a great project but never got off the ground. Do you have any pics of your place? Would love to see the house!

Hota
I use to have some of it on my ole "puter" but it got fried during a storm one night. I have to get a digital camera one of these days and then I will post some

Woody

I had all the comforts of home in my camp except one. The reason I came back? GOT HORNY!

A very telling quote :: and also a profound one. When I got out of college I was employed for a few months in forestry. Lots of being out in the great outdoors away from everyone, but I got tired quick of talking to trees for company. Probably an important point that most folks back them weren't hermits anymore than most of us are.

After that, I spent a few years living in a remote village in West Africa (Peace Corps). I figure THAT was generally close to living 200 years ago: no electricity, water out of a stream, radio rarely when I could get batteries etc.. etc... I would live mostly on the monotonous produce from local subsistence farms and my soap was mostly handmade. Parties at night came and went with the full moon. What it wasn't though was anything close to lonely, but then neither were any villages or towns (Red or White) in America back then.

In grad school in Texas I was fortunate enough to live for years rent-free on a deer lease outside of town. A single cold-running tap, no electricity, kerosene lantern for light (like Africa ::), firewood for heat, a pack rat ("Henry") for a roommate.

Let me tell ya, there's a reason all these modern-day mountain men do their thing up North. Cold can be handled with stoves and blankets. 100-degree plus heat is another thing entirely, it got to feeling about like a Japanese prison camp in July and August, and many a time in summer I would be trying to sleep, lying out on the bare floor but sweltering anyway. Gave me a whole new respect for them early Texans, but they must have been a sweaty bunch....

Birdwatcher

I spent a month or two in an 8'x8' plywood shack out in the middle of nowhere in the mountains NE of Oracle Junction in Az when i was younger, guarding my uncles so called Gold mine. Turned out it was more full of rattlesnakes than gold. Only company i had was a mongrel dog that had been abused by someone and was terrified of people. Had an old tin woodstove for heat and for cooking. Stepped on a rattlesnake one day while out hunting. Thing came up all strikin' and i went straight up in the air. Don't know how he missed me, but was sure glad he did, as the closest person was about 30 miles away. Didn't mind being out there alone at that time, but wouldn't want to do it now. To danged old.

Latest posts

Back