• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Model 1842 Springfield Shot Loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pmringer

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Good evening everyone,

I am kicking around the idea of using shot in my Model 1842 .69 caliber Springfield smoothbore to hunt. I was wondering if anyone has tried it and what loads work for small game and turkey.

Thanks!

Patrick Ferringer

Your 1842 is a true clyinder bore which will probably restrict
your range to 20-25 yards, depending on your load work up.

Duane

That's kind of what I was concerned about. I may experiment with some different cards and placement to see what I can get out of it pattern wise.

I shoot shot out of both my 1816 and 1842 smooth bore muskets with some success. Of course, they are cylinder bores so not particularly effective past 30 yards. Get 14 gauge wads from TOW. Best patterns I have found had two .125" OP card wads, two .375 cushion wads and 1 oz. of shot followed by a 13 gauge thin over shot wad. I dip my cushion wads in melted lube beforehand. This keeps the fouling soft so you can reload in the field without having to swab the bore. Powder charge varies from 70 to about 85 grains of FFg.

Latest posts

Back