• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ML 'Speedloaders'

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
With regard to the post about 'dryballing' one way to avoid this is to devise a 'speedloader' system.

Several years ago when I was hunting consistently I found some plastic tubes with a bottom and a slipcover cap but the important part was my .58 cal Great Plains bullets fit snugly in the open end. The tubes are only a couple inches long and I poured a measured load of BP into the tube and 'capped' it with a bullet.

I carried a few of these while hunting and if a quick reload was necessary simply pull the bullet, pour the powder, ram the bullet and carry on. Using something like this almost entirely eliminates a 'dry ball' situation at least when hunting anyway but might be a little less practical when on the range or target shooting.

The same system can be used with a patched ball if a tube can be found that will allow a patched ball to be loaded in the tube and pushed to the bottom as the 'base'. Then a charge of BP can be poured on top of the ball and then capped. Similar to load simply pull the cap, pour the powder and place the ball end over the muzzle and start the ball normally with the starter rod.

Again, this works well for hunting but not as practical for range/target shooting - unless you have enough tubes and want to load up a 'range days' worth of shots!

I have to put a plug in for the original "speed loader".

1605643487231.png

I have to put a plug in for the original "speed loader".
And they still work well!

I have seen some homemade variations of the 'original' style that worked very well.

One guy I knew came up with a way to make his own cardboard 'tubes' to do this.

Paper cartridges were around before the revolutionary war and used by both sides of the civil war. My method of speed loading the shotgun is to use a wax paper cartridge for the powder, and newspaper cartridge for the shot. For deer hunting I use a horse wormer tube for the powder charge and a loading block for the min's or patched round ball.

Winchester Sutler sold rubber tubes that you plug the end with your projectile. Looked them up to provide a link but it states they’re permanently closed. I also bought a 3 pack of flip top lid powder containers as well.

For me these aren’t about speed, but to have no need to carry all of the extras. When it’s bitter cold out your hands will appreciate not having to hang on to the various brass accruements. And I believe it would be helpful if it’s windy. And for my revolver, if I were to carry extras, I’d carry paper cartridges in a small cigar tin.

But, but, carrying all the extras is what says "Hey I'm a muzzleloader hunter". Sets you apart from the weekend warriors.

Unlike many I don’t have a steel horse to get my animal back to the truck. I’ll take all the reduction I can get, especially since I ain’t but 5’8” and 160. And I don’t really care what anyone else has to think about me and my gear.

I bought some stoppered plastic test tubes for the powder and an Altoids mint tin for the patches and balls. I also have a wooden tube for the patches and balls. It will hold 3 patches alternated with 3 balls. I doubt I will ever get more than one shot on a hunt. Convenient enough for me, and I can reload at my leisure.

if a quick reload was necessary simply pull the bullet, pour the powder, ram the bullet and carry on.

While I like to load with a loading block, when hunting I carry a charged speedloader in case a quick(er) 2nd shot is required.

IME, it's unnesssary to pull the projectile first if a loader is used that has both ends open & one end plugged.

The boolit is first seated in one end with a small portion protruding from the loader, the powder charge poured into the other end, then plugged.

In use, the plug is removed, than the charge poured downbore before the loader is flipped to start the boolit.

A friend of mine use to hunt with "speedloaders", one day he pulled one out of his pocket and the lid popped open spilling it's contents on the ground.
Even if you use a speed loader or whatever, there is no substitute for being well drilled. On his best day with a speed loader I could still beat him by manually loading.:D

IME, it's unnesssary to pull the projectile first if a loader is used that has both ends open & one end plugged.
In my case I had gotten lucky and found some plastic tubes that had one end sealed and the other open - and the bullet fit snugly so in effect it was the 'plug' - so I just pulled the bullet, poured the powder and seated the bullet.

When I am deer hunting I load my gun before I head into the woods and carry two plastic speedloaders with me. Both ends open and I pour the powder down and then ram the PRB in through the speedloader. No shooting bag or powder horn. Just a small flat horn for the 4F. I carry as little with me as possible. Necessities are in the patchbox or my knapsack. For small game hunting I don't use the speed loaders and carry a shooting bag and horn. Just my style and as non of my friends own or shoot traditional muzzleloaders being PC/HC is no concern to anyone.

I made them out of brass tubing. Fill with powder and then a tight bullit in the front. What sped it up more was fitting a cap on the bottom of the whole thing. Then instead of running it down the bore with a rod I made a breech plug I could open and insert this speed loader all in one piece. Those brass ones lasted forever.😳
Dump your plastic and your idea of speed. Billy yank ain’t charging you. If it takes you two minutes to reload on a hunt it’s ok, you got the time.
When your in the tall timber you’ve got all the time in the world.

I have a few of those tubes that Traditions sells that I bought long ago but only used them a time or two. I cut up quite a few pieces of different size pvc for different calibers and uses. I then permanently plugged one end and used ether a cork or cap for the other end. I'd normally put the powder charge in the appropriate tube ad cap it. A larger tube would hold 4 or 5 extra balls. That's what I often carried deer hunting since it would all fit in a jacket pocket. For small game I'd take both bag and horn with me for more shots that would be fired.

Back