• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ML shotgun question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As stated Track has 14ga stuff. Incidentally, 14ga is 69cal. I use my 69cal 1842 Macon smoothbore when teaching muzzleloading shotgun.
thanking you for the info. that a 14 gauge shot gun is 69 CAL. that is great info that I an putting in my favorites!

I have been using HORNETS / WASP nest for 50+ yrs in my 69 CAL 1845 smooth bore musket. now it will be great to use the correct DIA. wads in it. thank you.

And when you and I are long gone Feltwad will anyone care. I mean will they say" my dad was the best because he only shot original muzzleloaders so there"! I doubt it.
I'm kinda hoping they don't remember as a miserable grumpy curmudgeon. 😘
Typical answer from a man that does not appreciated his own country gun heritage , with a lack of knowledge has he quoted JEALOWS hope not
Feltwad

I used to have a 12 ga dbl and loved it, but my current smoothbore is a single barrel flintlock 20 ga. I never feel under-gunned or at a disadvantage with the smaller bore, and it smacks down deer with authority using ball. I could never see any use for owning a 10 ga.

Hanshi The main use of a 10ga is for water fowl. Using heavy shot the 10 will reach out further and harder than a 12. Many have the 10 in their safe just for that purpose.
Doc,

I have several original smoothbores, including both single and double 10-bores, double 15 bore (beautiful Damascus barrels!), 16- and 20- doubles. All are fun to shoot, either with birdshot or PRB.
I generally concentrate so much on the shot that I rarely notice the recoil. I am currently re-stocking the double 10-bore: Got it with a broken toe and mashed nipples. Got a beautiful English walnut blank for the re-stocking.
Unfortunately, my Agent Orange problems are increasing, making it difficult to work for much longer than 30 minutes at a time.
The 15-bore, made in England in about 1854, not only has those beautiful Damascus barrels, but is very nicely engraved. And fits me like the proverbial glove.

I’ve read nothing here about shot. I have a pedersoli 10 sxs will never run a ball through it. It’s for waterfowl. I have a tc 54 for four legged hunting. We can not use led shot. That limits use a lot. Chokes make loading very difficult when using steel and all the manure needed to protect the barrel. It’s much more expensive but still cheaper then steel unmentionable shot shells but I have switch to bismouth for all my bird hunting. Much simplified loading and more knockdown power.

I’ve read nothing here about shot. I have a pedersoli 10 sxs will never run a ball through it. It’s for waterfowl. I have a tc 54 for four legged hunting. We can not use led shot. That limits use a lot. Chokes make loading very difficult when using steel and all the manure needed to protect the barrel. It’s much more expensive but still cheaper then steel unmentionable shot shells but I have switch to bismouth for all my bird hunting. Much simplified loading and more knockdown power.
Steel shot is an abomination.

TOTW has a nifty thing in their Ammunition list. Go to BP wads, and when it opens, there is a listing of bore sizes for almost any smoothbore. They also have it broken down to bore sizes in what is available for each size.
15-bore is 0.667". To get the ball size, if you are interested, subtract .010 to .015 from the nominal bore diameter, in this case, 0.667-0.015= 0.652" The closest smaller size will do fine, just adjust your patch thickness.

I only have the one 12 gauge SxS Pedersoli. Besides loading, the effect is very similar to my modern 12 gauge shotgun, if not better. I have never shot a 10 gauge modern or ML, so I can’t say anything about the 10 gauge. My Pedersoli hits clays hard. We’ll see what it does with birds next season or maybe a turkey in a month. I really like the sling attachments on my Pedersoli too. I found a buffalo hide sling for it. Pretty cool and isn’t as heavy to carry as my modern shotgun.

Back