• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mis fires using patched ball.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As we have no idea where you are in UK, it's hard to recommend anywhere to you. Where I live on the Cambs/Northants border there are three places I can get BP plus one of our shooters who is a RFD.

If you are coy about telling us where you are, PM me and I'll see if I can help you out any.

I agree with everything mentioned by the other posters thus far - I'm amazed that the ball is exiting the muzzle with a squeakpip load like that!! :shocked2:

tac

Also, keep on mind.

Caps do move fouling, but add to it as well.

Male sure you bring a spare nippLe and wrench when you use these arms.

Do you open the hole on the side and clean in there when done? Those small nylon pipe brushes like used by engine rebuilds are real handy.

I clean this area with alcohol and remove the nippLe and alcohol clean before hunting season to ensure it will fire when needed. I do the same for my flint lock too. It's overkill, but eliminates a trouble area.

Hi Tac , I'm an East Anglian as well . Right on the east coast I. Ipswich. You'd think that being kind of rural there would be more gunsmiths around lol. Most that I spoken to , just deal in shotguns and kind of look at you funny when you mention muzzel loaders and black powder

My balls ( lead ones that is ) are punching clean holes in a target at 50m 😁
There is a fellow shooter , with an inline 50 cal, punching holes with even less powder than I am.

Shooting again tonight, will try some bigger powder loads see how I get on 😱

Hi Dutch , I have read about people using your 'system' , but have not seen any body explaining what it is. LoL.

I have on another forum been advised to use such things as 'bear grease' , 'mink oil' amongst other things , not many bears here in the UK , well not outside of wildlife parks that is 😎

I'm nothing like an East Anglian, me, I just happen to live here. Heck, I'm not even English, but might be 1/8th British if you go back far enough.

Anyhow - depending how far you are from Romford, and knowing how you Brits view places more than over the next hill as far-off lands, this might do the trick for you, if the journey isn't too much...

http://www.roaring-forties.co.uk/home

tac

I understand the problem for you to get real black powder but, did you know that Triple 7 powder was designed for use in the modern in-line guns using #209 shotgun primers to ignite it?

Because of this, having a higher ignition temperature isn't a real problem if that combination is used when shooting it.

Pyrodex on the other hand was designed for use in side-lock guns using standard percussion caps to ignite it.
Although Pyrodex does take a higher temperature to fire it when compared with real black powder, it is more likely to ignite than the Triple 7 you are using in your gun.

If you try shooting Pyrodex, keep in mind that its formula is similar to Triple 7 but sulfur has been added.
The sulfur seems to increase the likely-hood of rust forming in the barrel. Additionally, there is a greater risk of direct intergranular corrosion of the steel bore.

This is not a problem if the bore is thoroughly cleaned as soon as possible after the shooting session is finished.
Of course, your significant other may object to the rotten egg smell if you clean your gun indoors.

Anyway, I suggest that you try a pound of Pyrodex, either "RS" (Rifle & Shotgun, similar to black 2F) or "P" (Pistol, similar to black 3F).

It may help to solve your mis-fire problems.

Zonie, if the OP can get over to the part of the world that I live in, we can donate him a can of RS to get him going, or even better, any of my local dealers can sell him the real stuff.

We are not talking a thousand miles here, right?

Back home we drive from near Trenton to Ottawa to take in a hockey game...

tac

Fools Sulpur,
I am not clear on the point of your post,
I think it was complimentary for which thank you.
The problem with shooting on a hot day if you are out in the sunshine is that your barrel will not cool down between shots. Do no let your barrel lay hizontally in the sun. Tand the rifle on end. That;s udposed to keep it cooler.
When the barrel gets hot it expands and your ball patch combination does NOT expand and pretty soon your accuracy wobbles off.

I tried everything with very limited success for a year or two but finally settled own and put my mind to it.

I think it;s great fun.
It's like golf . you may compete with others but, really, you're competing with yourself
Thanks for your good thoughts

If you don't have the current Edition of the System, send me an email at

[email protected]

And I'll zip you a copy. no Charge.

You might enjoy reading the extra 40 pages added to the back.

Itmay keep you out of saloons these balmy summer days,

Dutch

I also had trouble with Triple 7. No matter what I did I would get hangfires, even on a fresh clean barrel. It also left a bad ring of fouling.

I went to pyrodex and it all got better. I do not wipe between shots. Just load powder, PRB and shoot.

I also use light powder loads because of the faster twist in my rifle (Lyman GP Hunter).

I have only fired 10 PRB loads at a time so don't know if it gets worse after that or not.

charlie b said:
I also had trouble with Triple 7. No matter what I did I would get hangfires, even on a fresh clean barrel. It also left a bad ring of fouling.

I went to pyrodex and it all got better. I do not wipe between shots. Just load powder, PRB and shoot.

I also use light powder loads because of the faster twist in my rifle (Lyman GP Hunter).

I have only fired 10 PRB loads at a time so don't know if it gets worse after that or not.
I had a similar problem using Black MZ in a 12 gauge ....I was shooting loads as light as 25 grains....I drilled out the nipple flash hole 2 number sizes larger and my hangfires went away.

Again a Hot-Shot nipple would probably solve the issue too as they have a larger hole diameter than a standard nipple designed for real BP.

This crud ring is with a sidelock? Seems I only read about it concerning 209 ignition systems to where it seemed the culprit was either the much larger charges typically used or the hotter ignition.

I had the ignition problems with light RB loads as well as heavy conical loads (80gn with 450gn PP bullet).

And, yes, there was a 'crud ring' with it when using RB as well as conical on a side lock rifle.

I was going to recommend Black MZ if you can get it Diz. I have used Pyrodex and Triple 7 and it is far superior in my humble opinion.Never had any ignition issues as it was designed for both traditional and inline muzzleloaders. I do use the Winchester magnum #11 caps on my Pedersoli shotguns and Missouri River Hawken. Seems some of your mates over in the UK might be able to get you Real BP which will definitely cure your problems. Good luck.

Rob.

Been using Black MZ since it came on the market. It is a very consistent and reliable powder that cleans up easily with water.

Black MZ likes a tight fitting ball seated hard on the powder.

It may not be for everyone, but I clean my BP. rifles with a 50 cal. machine gun rod. They cum sold or in 4 peace take down, the bottom end has a slot in it to place a cleaning patch in it. On the end I put the round ball starter on end. I keep the rag moist, when I load it cleaning going down and cleaning coming out. If rag get to dirty put a new in and put barrel wash on rag. I can shoot all day and never have to clean after 4 or more shots. Plus the Tee handle, pushing the ball down you know it is seated. At the end a of day when you clean your barrel, put fouling jag down barrel and turn, very little fouling. The wash with hot soapy water.

A few of us are now working on getting one of our local RFDs to get some black powder in 😎. Most are not inclined to store it.
Another avenue we have is , 2 new club members join who regularly shoot black powder , will have to find out where they get theirs from 😎

Been following the advice from Dutch and have not had a misfire in four shooting sessions so that's about 100 shots 🤠

Don't be too surprised if your local dealers don't follow thru.

Unless there are a lot of people interested in shooting traditional muzzleloaders and black powder cartridge rifles which are usually high cost, long range target guns, there's not much of a demand for real black powder.

To sell black powder, not only do they have to get a special "explosives" license but they have to build a locked storage area that meets the Federal requirements for it.

Also, insurance companies take a dim view of insuring a place that has explosives on hand.
(Smokeless powder and the synthetic black powders are classified as a combustibles, not explosives which explains why the dealers can have them sitting on a shelf for all the world to see.
If they go thru the hoops to sell black powder it can't be sitting out on the shelf. They must keep it locked up in the special storage area.)

Latest posts

Back