• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Millers Falls chisels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used both a small and large set of Miller Falls Chisels for about 50 years to inlet stocks with.Worked well for me-keep them sharp !

been looking to the palm chisels made by Flexcut ... nice but they look a bit too big ... any thoughts on how they compare?

thanks!

I've heard great things about Millers Falls chisels, but never owned any. I see them on eBay quite often and have always been tempted to pick some up. I recently bought some new Narex chisels and have been very pleased with their performance...$7 a piece too!

The Flex cut chisels and gouges don't hold an edge as well as the Swiss made stuff. I personally like the Pfeil palm sized push gouges the best. I have 5 or 6 of them. They're about 50% more though, or about $30 each, and the small ones; 11/1, 12/2, 9/5, 5/9 get the most use from me, especially when I'm doing raised carving. The small sliding band type of detail sanders are really slick for this sort of work too.

I have a set of Millers Falls chisels that I have used for about 45 years. Great tools. :thumbsup:

It depends. If you have an older set of chisels, they are excellent. If they are new or modern, they will be harder to sharpen and harder to keep sharp, but they are still pretty good and will serve you well. Just remember that they are cutting tools and must be absolutely sharp or you will be sloppy and frustrated. SCARRY SHARP IS THE KEY. Good luck

In 1976 bought 2 sets of 6 chisels each and they're mainly what I use. One set is Miller Falls and the other set is Brookstone. The Brookstone bent straight chisel is 1/4" wide and the Miller Falls bent chisel is 1/2" wide. Both hold an excellent edge and the long handles have never come off. The various blade shapes of both sets are used every day.

Paid $5.95 for the Brookstone set and $7.95 for the Miller Falls set.

Recently bought a cheap set of 6 chisels from China.....thought I could modify and regrind the blade shapes....big mistake and threw them out.

I keep looking for the above 2 sets of chisels, but to no avail. Will have to look on eBay.....Fred

Back