• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking for chisel recommendations

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alde

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I don't plan to carve on the Woodsrunner I just ordered but want to learn for a future kit. Can I get some recommendations for a chisel set that won't break the bank? I want to learn to carve and sharpen. I plan to pick up a junker stock to practice on. Should I get a set or just get individual tools and make up my own set? I plan to hit some yard sales looking for good quality chisels and files.

Go with Pfeil. It WILL break the bank. If you get good chisels you are likely to enjoy carving and will eventually get good at it. If you get cheap chisels you are likely to get frustrated and give up on it.
I definitely agree with your way of thinking. When it comes to tools my father always told be to buy good tools and have them for life. I still use some of his tools from the 1940's and 50's. I can just buy them one or two at a time.

Just got a birthday advertisement from Woodcrafters for 10 % off. I buy a Pfeil chisel every so often from them and have almost every size/shape I believe I need. Have to make another trip there soon.

Don
I have a Woodcrafters about an hour and a half from me and have never been. I'll have to take a little trip to check it out.

While not as good as Pfeil, I have a few Czech made chisels that are decent. All my smaller chisels are USA made by Flexcut.
I saw some of the Flexcut sets. It looks like they would be great for detail work. I noticed that some of the sets come with a pack of Bandaids. I thought that was clever and probably a good idea.

I saw some of the Flexcut sets. It looks like they would be great for detail work. I noticed that some of the sets come with a pack of Bandaids. I thought that was clever and probably a good idea.
I acquired my collection of Flexcut tools doing wood spirit and figure carving and yes, they're great for detail work, not as good as a full length chisel for larger areas. But you do have to keep bandaids handy, they come sharp and with regular stropping stay sharp. I'm not exaggerating when I say if any of the cutting edges ever touch skin, or at least my skin, there's always blood, not matter how slight the touch!

Went to Woodcarfeters yesterday, wife and MIL were out at yard sales. Bought a medium size Pfeil gouge that looked handy.

Ditto on the Flex Cut tools. I have 2 of their smaller sets for detail work and they are sharp.

Wife often says "The job isn't done until your are bleeding somewhere!".

Don

Google for wood carvers tool vendors and catalogs. There are a lot of good brands out there. The choice is yours. However, stay away from the real El Cheapos. Most do not take an edge well. But, my biggest complaint with them is most have a very short tang into the handle and many are soft woods. Meaning, when you put pressure on them while carving they can break through with the potential to seriously injure the user.

The little Flexcut "double bevel skew" chisel is a very useful general-purpose tool. Great for cleaning up details and the steel isn't bad at all. It isn't useful for most carving, but beats the exacto knife for sure.

Back