• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Relief carving

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow#21957

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm ordering a couple books on relief carving the Flintlock. One is Releif carving with Mike Miller. His shop is in Ky. Any tips greatly appreciated. I've got a few good gouges and chisels. Need more. And I need to get some good sharpening tools. I'm excite just thinking about getting started. Get me some scrap woods to practice.

Just went to wood craft for small scrapers bought a gouge while there. That makes 8 carving tools 9 counting scrapers. The guy there showed me some techniques on carving. Man he made that look easy but then he was using basswood but still he knew how to carve. I will be going back to watch their carving club guys at work on and Saturday. Just what I need another hobby.

I am also a beginner at woodcarving, I have a book by Chris Pye, it's good. Beginner Carving something or other, they stock it at Woodcraft and it sounds like you have one local to you. Carve something, learn where your tools keep you from doing what you want to do and that is the next one to buy. I have botched numerous carvings by trying to force a tool to do something instead of using the right tool. The only other thing I can say as a beginner also is buy good tools, I tried to cut corners with my first tools and they were categorically garbage with something like 4.8 star reviews. I bought Pfeil at Woodcraft after that and they are night and day better. The Schaaf I bought first weren't even sharpenable by a beginner I don't think, several needed reshaped completely and that's probably out of reach for someone that doesn't know how they are supposed to work. I returned them with no issue after looking them over.

Thanks HsmithTx I've got some other chiselsxand gouges of really good quality.
But I did buy a pfiel D52 I believe is the # will stick with pfiel from now on. The shallow relief carving on muzzeloadefs is my main reason to get into carving. I'm sure I will get hooked and branch out though. Thanks again. If you get some carving done I would like to see it.

Back