• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Military Heritage India Pattern Musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rayb

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Thinking about ordering one of the Military Heritage India Pattern muskets. I understand that these come out of Canada with vent hole undrilled. Also read the posts about the breech threads (or lack thereof) in at least 1 certain India manufactured (not India pattern) gun as discussed on this forum. Not sure if Military Heritage guns are India manufacture or not.

I'm looking to replicate, reasonably closely, the muskets captured at the battle of San Jacinto, 21 April 1836. My use however will be target/hunting (i don't reenact) so the loads will be something other than blanks.

I also understand that with the application of sufficient $$$, i can get exactly what i want built. I don't have time to build it myself, unless it was a 99% kit (don't think one is available), nor does current $ situation allow much more than the cost i'm contemplating, without a lot of delay in saving up $$. I may be overestimating the cost of having one built however.

Also i must remember that i'm trying to replicate a military surplus weapon sold from one country to another and then captured and used by a third country. So a perfect glossy finish is not necessarily required. Strength and durability are important as i intend to use and shoot it.

Anybody have any experience with this particular Musket? Any better ideas?

Thank you for your input.

rayb

lord, grant me patience, and do it right now please...

Not sure if Military Heritage guns are India manufacture or not.

They are...

Some other members on the forum have them and are overall pleased with the gun, drilling the vent is no problem...

There are several threads about these guns in the older smoothbore archives, both pro and con viewpoints can be found on this thread below...

---> Indian Muskets <--- click here

rayb,

I have a 2nd Land pattern from Military Heritage. I like it and think that it was a good deal for the money. Some of the threads (the ramrod tip and cock jaw screw) were poor and needed to be chased out with a tap/die set.

See also the hyperlink that Musket Man lists above for alternate sources of these muskets -- there are 3 that are suspiciously similar in so many ways.

As to custom built guns, you can spend $1,000 for custom gun parts alone and this is more of a collection of parts than a "kit". Assembly goes up from there. $2,200 is a real possibility.

Glossy and new is what you will get from MH. You will need to drill your own vent, but that is not a big deal.

Robert Henderson of MH will talk to you about it if you have questions about the MH guns ability to shoot live charges or blanks. (His answer to me was that his guns are intended to shoot live rounds and that his company will stand behind the guns.)

I am puzzled that you want the 3rd as I understand that 2nds were also sold to the Mexican army and this would permit your participation in earlier events.

YMHS,
CrackStock

The reason for wanting the 3rd version is that they are supposedly the models captured at the Battle of San Jacinto by the Texans. There may have been other models in the Mexican inventory as well, however the 3rd model is specifically mentioned, and apparantly there are at least 2 that are documented as having belonged to the Republic of Texas after their capture. Certainly wouldn't be surprised to learn that there were other models captured, but the 3rd model has been specifically mentioned. The research and fun continues.

Thanks for your response to the post.

rayb

Back