• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Midway order came in today - 1851 Navy replica

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Pietta got it with the free shipping code so with PA tax it was less than $300.

7 1/2" bbl, steel frame, plastic grip.

Thanks to Phil Coffiins excellent tutorial on making a grip for Colt replicas...it won't have a plastic grip for long. I think this will be my 3rd Colt grip. Not sure what wood I'll use. I have a good stock of Amaranth (Purple Heart)...might be interesting.

My 2nd Pietta and I swore I would never buy another after my first one but oh well, We are people of second chances are we not?

Excellent finish on all metal parts. Cycles well but I have not disassembled it yet but I will, probably on Saturday. Plus this is the first .36 caliber I have purchased since my very first BP (which I later sold) that I bought in the late 70's.

The cylinder "engraving" is very sharp and clean, I suspect it is laser engraved, much nicer than that on my Uberti 3rd model Dragoon.

Always fun getting a new firearm.

Thanks to Phil Coffiins excellent tutorial on making a grip for Colt replicas...it won't have a plastic grip for long. I think this will be my 3rd Colt grip. Not sure what wood I'll use. I have a good stock of Amaranth (Purple Heart)...might be interesting.

My 2nd Pietta and I swore I would never buy another after my first one but oh well, We are people of second chances are we not?

Excellent finish on all metal parts. Cycles well but I have not disassembled it yet but I will, probably on Saturday. Plus this is the first .36 caliber I have purchased since my very first BP (which I later sold) that I bought in the late 70's.

The cylinder "engraving" is very sharp and clean, I suspect it is laser engraved, much nicer than that on my Uberti 3rd model Dragoon.

Just a note about Purple Heart; be sure to get as much surface oil out of it before applying a finish or you will run into drying issues. It’s a pretty wood but will darken quite a bit. Good luck 👍🏻

Plastic grips ? I just bought a new Pietta 51 from Cabella's this summer (show case gun with some dings and scratches ) sanded off a bit of protruding butt toe material and it sure looks like walnut from that bit of incursion. Guess I'll dig into the frame mortise next time I take it down to investigate.
Mine was 348.00 with military discount and 5 percent for minor dings. I wonder if walnut grips is the price difference?

Last edited:
Like you said it is fun getting a new gun. You will have the fun of making the grips, home made always feels better. And shooting a 36 will be lots of fun. Hope it turns out to be your favorite gun. Good Luck

Back