• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Michigan deer opener

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good luck to those headed out for the Michigan deer opener.
High banks of the white river echo the call of a .54 kit Carson.
Enjoy your hunt.

Tmccastle said:
Good luck to those headed out for the Michigan deer opener.
High banks of the white river echo the call of a .54 kit Carson.
Enjoy your hunt.

pretty much need it in the area i hunt, i hunt the white river area in oceana county and we are not seeing much deer sign at all, but any way , it is just nice to bee out there , good luck to you also. (is the high banks up near pines point area?)

My friends and I went bow hunting the third week of Oct up in Lake county where they have the new antler restrictions. We saw more scrapes and rubs then I have seen in the last 30 years. I normally hunt the Rogue River game area but the die off last year from EHD (EDH?) was so bad I may not try there again for a few years. I have a friend who invited me over to try his 50 acres south of Fowlerville this year. Big deer over there. Here's hoping!

Good luck guys and have a safe hunt.

Very near pines point. South Branch of the white.
Down stream from pines point.
Tradition of the hunt is thicker than the deer herd.
Close to sischo bayou

Tmccastle said:
Very near pines point. South Branch of the white.
Down stream from pines point.
Tradition of the hunt is thicker than the deer herd.
Close to sischo bayou

you are about 2-3 miles from my spot by the happy mohawk canoee livery and sand road

EHD did quite a number on the deer population in Pierson last year. Between us and our several neighbors the count was over 40 dead deer due to the disease. I've seen a few deer each time I've gone out but between 6 others who hunt the family farm, there hasn't been much action.

illuveatar said:
EHD did quite a number on the deer population in Pierson last year. Between us and our several neighbors the count was over 40 dead deer due to the disease. I've seen a few deer each time I've gone out but between 6 others who hunt the family farm, there hasn't been much action.

between 5 hunters in our area , seen a total of 1 deer, and it was the rump end . every one i talk to say they did not see any either, looks like we will try to locate some elsewhere or go hungry this year. we have a bad coyote problem in our area also and that may count for alot of this problem also.

I went out opening morning with a couple of friends here in Laingsburg. We had one of the guy's 10 year old nephew with us on his first hunt. About 7:30 a young buck walked out at the end of the shooting lane, about 100 yds., to the bait pile. Our priority was for the boy to get one, and we felt 100 yds was too far for him, so we just watched it. The boy was using a traditional .50 cal. muzzle loader with open sights by the way. After about 10 minutes watching, another young buck stepped into the lane to the at about 50 yds. This one was close enough!! One shot, deer bolted. Looked to be a good shot to us, so we waited to go look for it. The buck at the end of the lane stood there looking to see what the noise was, but then resumed eating. About 15 minutes went by and the buck wandered off, and then a doe and her fawn stepped into the lane. They stayed about 10 minutes and then they left. Now it was time to look for the boy's deer. We went just under 50 yards and found his nice 6 point piled up. The kid had hit it exactly right, one lung and almost cut the heart in half. Needless to say we had one very happy 10 year old!!!

Later that afternoon, I was not with them, they saw another doe, but did not shoot it.

Beyond those deer we have been seeing deer in the fields in our neighborhood.

Back