• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as Squirrel Hunting, as stated in earlier post the FWC has put Squirrel Hunting to year round, stating the 2024/2025 Hunting Season. That starts July 1st 2024. The 4th falls on a Thursday. I have requested the 3rd and the 5th off. It will be hot misquote up the A$$, but I will be out there the 3rd first light. So I best be getting out there and practice with my Crockett Rifle...
I'll have 1 1/2 months to get myself tuned in....

Take Care Stay Safe
You can do it!

As far as Squirrel Hunting, as stated in earlier post the FWC has put Squirrel Hunting to year round, stating the 2024/2025 Hunting Season. That starts July 1st 2024. The 4th falls on a Thursday. I have requested the 3rd and the 5th off. It will be hot misquote up the A$$, but I will be out there the 3rd first light. So I best be getting out there and practice with my Crockett Rifle...
I'll have 1 1/2 months to get myself tuned in....

Take Care Stay Safe
Permetherin and a mosquito head net Fred. That and plenty of water. Just think back when we were young and feral in Illinois and season opened in August. I think we were impervious to heat and skeeters then. To be young again!

Permetherin and a mosquito head net Fred. That and plenty of water. Just think back when we were young and feral in Illinois and season opened in August. I think we were impervious to heat and skeeters then. To be young again!
That's very true the heat and skeeters did not faze me at all.
As far as a head net down here???
They can and will swarm around your head so thick ya can hardly see or hear.
Sawyers 100% Deet or a Therma-Cell.
The Permetherin ate the back of my neck up real bad once and I haven't used it since. I have picked alot of ticks off myself, this year they are real thick.

LINK

Year round 12 a day. Did I read that right!?!? They must be overrunning the ramparts and need serious thinning...
Yes that is correct. There are a good a
You use that on your clothes, not on your skin. Spray your hunting clothes and let it dry before wearing. Works great when you use it correctly.
Brother, I did not put it on my skin.
Somehow or another it was on/in collar of the shirt that was rubbing against my neck. It was very warm and I was sweating.
I do know better tthan to do that but thank you for looking out.

That's very true the heat and skeeters did not faze me at all.
As far as a head net down here???
They can and will swarm around your head so thick ya can hardly see or hear.
Sawyers 100% Deet or a Therma-Cell.
The Permetherin ate the back of my neck up real bad once and I haven't used it since. I have picked alot of ticks off myself, this year they are real thick.
Use the permetherin on your hunting duds. Spray them down and let them air dry.

Use the permetherin on your hunting duds. Spray them down and let them air dry.
Brother, it was years ago and that's what I did. Maybeci did do something wrong, not sure. I do know it irritated the heck out of my neck. I am thinking about trying it again after reading the successful input from y'all.

Thanks Tom.

Take Care Stay Safe

I’m leaving for Maine in the morning. Spring is early up there too. I’m anticipating black flies. I have two thermacell packed. They are game changers. I haven’t used OFF or deet for a long time. And clothes are always treated with permethrin.
The Therma-Cell is a game changer for sure, it definitely keeps the skeeters off of me, while deer hunting. Love them things.

When I used to move around alot turkey hunting, I just sprayed down with deet, that's what I do while Squirrel Hunting also. Now days when turkey hunting I usually a ground blind. So I use the Therma-Cell.

If you save an old Therma-Cell cartridge and put doe pee or a Is curiosity scent on it and put it a few yards out, it's kinda like a hot cup of coffee or hot bowl of soup. It really puts the aroma up and out into the wind.

Take Care Stay Safe

Yes that is correct. There are a good a

Brother, I did not put it on my skin.
Somehow or another it was on/in collar of the shirt that was rubbing against my neck. It was very warm and I was sweating.
I do know better tthan to do that but thank you for looking out.
I had never heard of that happening, but I'll be sure not to spray my collar. Thanks for that.👍

I dropped out of following this thread diligently a while ago. Drop into it now and then to see what's new but haven't read every post.....
Dropped in now to say that I finally finished the book from our OP @ETipp
I greatly enjoyed it and would recommend it to most anyone. For a 1st venture into writing a book and self-publishing, I can't imagine a greater success. Sure there are a couple of typos, but the whole thing feels genuine and friendly, like an uncle filling you in on what you need to know.....
It only needs one thing,,,,, to complete the cycle. Uncle Tipp has told us all about the squirrels themselves and how to go about hunting them,,,, but not what to do with them once they've been shot....

I guess he left himself open for a second edition 😉 (which I will also buy)

Overall, excellent job @ETipp

I dropped out of following this thread diligently a while ago. Drop into it now and then to see what's new but haven't read every post.....
Dropped in now to say that I finally finished the book from our OP @ETipp
I greatly enjoyed it and would recommend it to most anyone. For a 1st venture into writing a book and self-publishing, I can't imagine a greater success. Sure there are a couple of typos, but the whole thing feels genuine and friendly, like an uncle filling you in on what you need to know.....
It only needs one thing,,,,, to complete the cycle. Uncle Tipp has told us all about the squirrels themselves and how to go about hunting them,,,, but not what to do with them once they've been shot....

I guess he left himself open for a second edition 😉 (which I will also buy)

Overall, excellent job @ETipp
Thank you for the input, much appreciated.

Let it be known that I am already in the beginning stages of writing a volume two. If everything works out and if this does, in fact, materialize, it will be published this coming winter after I get this seasons squirrel hunts behind me, as well as some additional information obtained/tested. With the input/suggestions and help from some of you folks, it is helping already.

Gears and wheels are turning. :)

Last edited:
Never heard of wolves on squirrels until I started following this forum.
I’ve been hunting squirrels for years up here in Wisconsin and have never seen or heard of them.
Went online and looked up wolves on squirrels and they don’t look very good.
I think the name wolves is a southern thing. Growing up in south Tennessee that's what everybody called them. Never understood why.

I think the name wolves is a southern thing. Growing up in south Tennessee that's what everybody called them. Never understood why.

Just got thru reading "Gray and Fox Squirrels" by J. Madson [ LINK ] , written in the '60's, which is the topic of another thread started by ohiochuck. I couldn't stop reading - read the whole thing yesterday.

Lots of info on wolves/warbles. He mentioned one survey in a Southern area found fully 1/3 of those shot in warm months had wolves and were simply tossed aside and wasted. And, after early freezing cold weather seeing scars, but in deep winter evidence of worm completely healed over and gone. This is exactly as I remember as a boy in N.E. Alabama.

Now I'm repeating other posts. I guess we've hammered the warble/wolves subject into the dirt here...

Last edited:
Well fellers, spring squirrel season opens in the morning here. Low clouds and rain in the forecast but I’m going anyway. Can’t kill em sitting on my butt in the house. Been moving some very heavy furniture the last two days. Even my toenails are aching. I hope it’s not going to be too much of a factor in the morning during my hunt. Perhaps it will keep me moving slow and easy, as I should be doing.

I don’t expect a great day of hunting our furry little friends. But we shall see.

Last edited:
Well fellers, spring squirrel season opens in the morning here. Low clouds and rain in the forecast but I’m going anyway. Can’t kill em sitting on my butt in the house. Been moving some very heavy furniture the last two days. Even my toenails are aching. I hope it’s not going to be too much of a factor in the morning during my hunt. Perhaps it will keep me moving slow and easy, as I should be doing.

I don’t expect a great day of hunting our furry little friends. But we shall see.
Givem he!! Ed!

Back