• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Metal Cartridges

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sequoia

40 Cal.
Reaction score
No, not those kind of cartridges. I just read an article in backwoodsman magazine about using aluminum foil for pre-made cartridges in colt revolvers. Apparently they were used back in the day except they used lead foil. Has anyone tried these and what was the result?

I've read quite a bit about paper cartridges. Nothing about metal, though. Thing is, the paper is mostly consumed by the combustion. Foil...not so much, methinks!
Personally, I would stay away from that one. If you really feel a consuming desire to "roll your own", go paper. Just my .02....... :hmm:

Supposedly lead (not tin) foil was the material used to make Colt cartridges. They were said to be conical in shape & were supposedly poorly received & so discontinued fairly rapidly.
They were notorious for leaving bits of foil everywhere & causing problems as they did not burn away like paper did.

CaptainKirk, i agree completely... by the way i have a falling block paper cartridge rifle, which is a lot of fun to shoot (although i don't get to do so nearly as often as i would like).

MSW said:
CaptainKirk, i agree completely... by the way i have a falling block paper cartridge rifle, which is a lot of fun to shoot (although i don't get to do so nearly as often as i would like).

Is that the Sharps?
I came within a stone's throw of buying on of those back in the eighties. 3 bills, brand-new. And, if I'd have known what pricing looks like today, I probably would've taken out a loan! LOL! :rotf:

Colt, working with Eley in England developed a metallic foil cartridge for the Colt revolvers.

It was quite popular for a while but I don't have the details on exactly how it was made except it was loaded from the front of the cylinder and the foil burst, exposing the powder when it was rammed into the cylinder.

If you are inclined to experiment with this, the lead foil in dental x-ray film (which is discarded when the film is developed) might be useful. A lot of dentists have gone to digital imaging now so it may be difficult to find. :(

Back