• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Matcklock woes...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently read with interest the post about chainfires and although (fortunately) I've never had one it reminded me of a similar situation I had with my Arsa Matchlock pistol, in a competition of all places!
I had everything prepared including a new length of matchcord. I loaded my first round, primed the pan and closed it, clipped my matchcord in the serpentine, opened the pan and 'Bang' off it went! Luckily experience told me to make sure it was pointed down range and nothing vital was in the way! However it was something I didn't want to do again!
In the end it was down to the new matchcord, sparking when it was burning. Out of the 13 shots 5 did this and the target was ruined, food for thought?
The place where I normally buy my cord has changed suppliers and although it looks identical it's not. The last batch I bought wouldn't stay lit which is as bad if not worse!
I have made my own but can't seem to get it consistent. The cord is the right diameter but the saltpetre solution dried inconsistently and caused hot spots. I'll get it right eventually but in the meantime I have to buy it and am at the mercy of poor manufacturing....

I recently read with interest the post about chainfires and although (fortunately) I've never had one it reminded me of a similar situation I had with my Arsa Matchlock pistol, in a competition of all places!
I had everything prepared including a new length of matchcord. I loaded my first round, primed the pan and closed it, clipped my matchcord in the serpentine, opened the pan and 'Bang' off it went! Luckily experience told me to make sure it was pointed down range and nothing vital was in the way! However it was something I didn't want to do again!
In the end it was down to the new matchcord, sparking when it was burning. Out of the 13 shots 5 did this and the target was ruined, food for thought?
The place where I normally buy my cord has changed suppliers and although it looks identical it's not. The last batch I bought wouldn't stay lit which is as bad if not worse!
I have made my own but can't seem to get it consistent. The cord is the right diameter but the saltpetre solution dried inconsistently and caused hot spots. I'll get it right eventually but in the meantime I have to buy it and am at the mercy of poor manufacturing....
Dear John. It sounds like your saltpeter soak is too strong I found plating Macrame twine useing a mild soak of salt peter & Pukka bundook used wood ash Liy . I rubbed it over with bit of wall paper paste to stop it unraveling seems to work .We are after a hot coal with little ash burning slowly .Ime sure other devotees of string burners will add their views . To the tune of "Keep the matchcord burning .while our hearts are yearning "
Regards Rudyard

Re: Matchcord sparking

Very common ... it was the process used. Also make sure NOT to hang the cord for it to dry, as that too can lead to varying results within the length of cord. Buck the match cord 1st. See:

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/matchlock-cord-not-igniting-powder.159900/
Also look up any or all of the posts with the words "buck, match or cord" by the poster/Member 'Canute Rex', as he has great info on DIY cord!

Latest posts

Back