• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Matchlock pan & cover

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom in nc

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I ask in another thread but probably should ask in it's own thread...so using a barrel that was originally a percussion barrel, with the drum removed, how should I attach the pan & cover, that I will be making?
And how should the cover and flash guard be attached so the cover will pivot as needed? Screw or bolt with a locking nut of some type? Thanks

Screenshot_20231113-174726~2.png

Looking at this pic I see this pan & cover is part of the lock plate. I believe it would be much less complicated to make the pan, cover, & shield a separate assy. What do you all think?

Pan and covers being part of the lock plate are mostly only a thing (with exceptions) at the beginning and the end of the (non snapping) matchlock era. In Europe, they were often dovetailed to the barrel.

Last edited:
For the flash guard, I saw an interesting method on a reproduction. A thin strip of metal was bent around a central shaft for the screw, kind of like making a flag out of a strip of paper and a pencil. It seems like one of the easier solutions, without forging.

Easiest way to "get r done" would be weld the pan on, drill a hole place a rivit (nail) and peen it on both ends ensuring to grind the weld smooth.

I ask in another thread but probably should ask in it's own thread...so using a barrel that was originally a percussion barrel, with the drum removed, how should I attach the pan & cover, that I will be making?
And how should the cover and flash guard be attached so the cover will pivot as needed? Screw or bolt with a locking nut of some type? Thanks
The pan itself could be dovetailed into the barrel, or soft-soldered in place if preferred. Soft-soldering b/c I don't like high heat applied to the breech section of a barrel where it could weaken the metal. Pans attached to a lockplate came about much later.
The early pan covers were often riveted using copper or brass - that allows secure attachment & were simple to adjust (screws came into use later). Look up Michael Tromner (aka Matchlock) posts on Vikingsword to get more ideas!

I failed to notice that your barrel was previously threaded for a drum. In that case, it might be possible to make up a pan assembly that could simply thread into the existing threaded location FWIW.

I failed to notice that your barrel was previously threaded for a drum. In that case, it might be possible to make up a pan assembly that could simply thread into the existing threaded location FWIW.
I've already thought about starting with the drum and making the pan assy from it.

IMG_20231112_222457244_HDR.jpg

Here's my drum. The threads appear to be good as do the threads in the barrel. I'm drawing up my idea(s) for the pan & cover now. I will post it/them soon and see what you guys & gals(?)think. Thanks for your help.

Tom,
You may have trouble using the drum to screw the pan on, as this is exactly where you want the touchhole.
Run a stud, the stud threads into the vent hole. Take and thread a block. Screw the block onto the stud, weld the block to the stud. Unscrew the block and stud from the barrel. Drill the vent thru the stud. Cut the block down to shape, anywhere the stud is exposed weld clean. Screw the new "pan bolt" into the barrel, it should be aligned as you started by welding to the stud aligned . . .

IMG_20231114_101230953_HDR.jpg

I couldn't figure out a way of using the drum that I liked, so I will probably reinstall it, and drill it for the touch hole. Although I will probably not use the barrel I now have. My drawings are crude but here is what I've come up with so far. I think starting with a block like shown in the top drawing, drilling the hole, which will be the pan, then sawing the block in half will be the best way to create the channel to be the pan as shown in the bottom drawing. What do you think. Then I will figure out the cover & shield.

Last edited:
Run a stud, the stud threads into the vent hole. Take and thread a block. Screw the block onto the stud, weld the block to the stud. Unscrew the block and stud from the barrel. Drill the vent thru the stud. Cut the block down to shape, anywhere the stud is exposed weld clean. Screw the new "pan bolt" into the barrel, it should be aligned as you started by welding to the stud aligned . . .
That would work. Now I'm unsure if I will even proceed with this project.
It has been an unpleasant experience thus far.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back