• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Matchlock Design Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rebounding serpentine?

OK, I went back through the archives - no luck. I remember reading about the concept, I think here in this forum, and then saw a photo of a lock that looked like it would do it, but I don't think the photo was here.

Just an interesting idea. My main interests are a ways away from matchlocks.

Since I can't find a photo, I'll try to describe it. Picture a serpentine with the mainspring on the outside of the lockplate bearing directly on the bottom end of the serpentine.

For the sake of discussion, the serp is facing forward - the match moves away from the shooter when the tricker is pulled.

The serp, past the pivot, has a foot angling back such that it is horizontal when the serp is down to where the end is just above the pan, and the end of the mainspring lays flat against the foot.

The foot extends forward of the pivot a bit, so if the serp continues down into the pan, the mainspring acts on this forward extension to lift the serp back up until the foot is laying flat on the spring.

One would adjust the position of the match to be just above the powder with the serp at rest.

Cock it, pull the tricker, and the momentum of the serp will carry the match right down into the powder, but the spring will lift it back to the rest position, with the end of the match not being snuffed out against the bottom of the pan.

Seemed reasonable to me at the time, but since I can't find any evidence, maybe I made the whole thing up. :confused:

Hay, the design sounds good. :grin:

The more I read of W.W.Greener's book THE GUN AND IT'S DEVELOPMENT the more I will believe just about everything was tried at least once.

How about a Repeating Matchlock Rifle with 8 pans sticking out the side of the barrel. It was loaded with superposed loads seperated with leather washers and tight fitting balls and "The serpentine travels on a notched rack, and is brought into contact with the priming of each pan in succession, and fired by pressing a corresponding trigger." (9th Ed, pg 80) He does to on to say these multi-shot weapons "...were not in general use at any time either as military or as sporting weapons."
Other guns mentioned in the book include pre-flint breech loading cannons, and breech loading cartridge Flintlocks.

What will they think of next???

Back