• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Scandinavian Lock Mystery Solved

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't remember what I had for breakfast and he remembers a 4 year old post. 😳
LOL!! That's what I thought. Apparently, Wulf must have been looking at his Baltic lock and somehow it jogged his memory back to my lock Thread. So, out of the blue, I received a PM from him. He was searching in vein to find my original Thread. But I remembered my Thread and sent it to him by PM. Next, I receive a PM back from him with the photos and sketch. Both of our locks being Scandinavian/Baltic, Wulf thought the "L" shaped trigger part on his lock might be what was missing on my lock. My thought was: It has to be. Makes too much sense.
My lock, being in such mint condition, makes me wonder why this part was missing. But do to it's condition, I thought maybe it was just a styling exercise for display and the builder intentionally made the lock without a trigger. But then, there are two mounting holes in the center of the lock plate. Hmmmm. Well, I'll never know beyond speculation. But many thanks to Wulf.

Rick

Hello ALL. Here is a Thread I posted almost 4 years ago. Some of you may remember. While this beautiful, original lock was in new condition, there was a mystery. There was no trigger bar/sear assembly to move the sear spring inward to release the cock for firing. And there was no fixture or evidence there ever was one. The rear of the inside of the lock plate was just blank. Was the lock never finished ? That didn't seem to make any sense. How was this lock to fire ? In this original Thread, in Post #5, fellow Forum member Pukka offered one possibility showing a photo of an early wheellock showing a one-piece trigger/wedge type assembly. But I've always thought this was a bit crude for this lock and it's time period. So here is the original Thread to give you the back story:

Rick

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/early-17th-century-scandinavian-lock.122907/
Well. I sent you two parts, and they should arrive on Friday......

Hi Wulf. Didn't arrive Friday. But might be here today or Monday. Even regular mail is taking longer now a days.

Rick
Hi Ricky.....I'm disappointed to put t mildly.....I didn't get a tracking number for such a small charge....I did get a sales number and that didn't
didn't help tracking. So I will probably have to make you another sear...hang on bro.

Hi Ricky.....I'm disappointed to put t mildly.....I didn't get a tracking number for such a small charge....I did get a sales number and that didn't
didn't help tracking. So I will probably have to make you another sear...hang on bro.
Hi Wulf. Hang on. Even regular First Class Mail is taking longer. If sent regular First Class Mail, it will likely show up.
Yesterday, 02/06, I just received a letter from my auto insurance company dated January 29, with a notice of cancellation for non-payment of premium that was due January 23. I mailed my check for payment on January 14, 9 days before it was due. My Bank records show that my check was finally received by my Bank for payment on February 05 !!!
I recently sent a fellow Forum member a medium size box from St. Louis to Boston by USPS Priority Mail for $39.00. That 2-3 day service took 11 days to reach him. It would appear that neither 3-5 day First Class Mail or 2-3 Day Priority Mail no longer exists. No wonder people are paying their bills on-line. They no longer have a reasonable assurance their letters or packages will get to their locations in a reasonable time frame.
So, don't make a new part yet. It will likely show up sometime this week. If for some reason it doesn't, I'll send you the lock for fitting.

Rick

Hi Wulf. Hang on. Even regular First Class Mail is taking longer. If sent regular First Class Mail, it will likely show up.
Yesterday, 02/06, I just received a letter from my auto insurance company dated January 29, with a notice of cancellation for non-payment of premium that was due January 23. I mailed my check for payment on January 14, 9 days before it was due. My Bank records show that my check was finally received by my Bank for payment on February 05 !!!
I recently sent a fellow Forum member a medium size box from St. Louis to Boston by USPS Priority Mail for $39.00. That 2-3 day service took 11 days to reach him. It would appear that neither 3-5 day First Class Mail or 2-3 Day Priority Mail no longer exists. No wonder people are paying their bills on-line. They no longer have a reasonable assurance their letters or packages will get to their locations in a reasonable time frame.
So, don't make a new part yet. It will likely show up sometime this week. If for some reason it doesn't, I'll send you the lock for fitting.

Rick
Rick, don't feel like the lonesome eagle....we have had the same problem....last October, a 4 day late payment notice...took 12 days from mail to clearing the bank via regular U.S. mail. Since...ALL cc, insurance, etc. now paid on-line. It took me several days of frustrating learning curve to get everything on the computer set up for on-line payments. We now have two packages of "Forever Stamps", that will take forever to use up.
Larry

Yes, looks like I'm going to have to pay ALL my bills online also. My insurance agent checked into my situation. I mailed my check on 01/14. She said the postmark on my envelope was dated 01/23, by coincidence, the same day it was due. So it took 9 days for them to receive a First Class letter.
I realize that occasionally, a letter or package may get delayed, or even lost. But recently, something has gone awry with the Postal Service. Very strange. Looks like I'm going to have to send packages by regular Ground Advantage from now on - per Flint's recommendation. And maybe signature required !!

Rick

Back