• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Scandinavian Lock Mystery Solved

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello ALL. Here is a Thread I posted almost 4 years ago. Some of you may remember. While this beautiful, original lock was in new condition, there was a mystery. There was no trigger bar/sear assembly to move the sear spring inward to release the cock for firing. And there was no fixture or evidence there ever was one. The rear of the inside of the lock plate was just blank. Was the lock never finished ? That didn't seem to make any sense. How was this lock to fire ? In this original Thread, in Post #5, fellow Forum member Pukka offered one possibility showing a photo of an early wheellock showing a one-piece trigger/wedge type assembly. But I've always thought this was a bit crude for this lock and it's time period. So here is the original Thread to give you the back story:

Rick

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/early-17th-century-scandinavian-lock.122907/

To Continue: After all this time, I recently received a PM from fellow Forum member Wulf1928. Wulf had made a copy of a Baltic style lock himself. Somehow, Wulf's lock must have jogged his memory back to the mystery of my lock lacking any sear/trigger bar to operate my Scandinavian lock. And I believe Wulf has solved the mystery of my lock using his Baltic lock as an example. Here are some photos of Wulf's Baltic lock and a sketch detail of what I believe is the "missing" part from my Scandinavian lock. Note the "L" shaped trigger bar piece with the slot. So, IMHO that is the piece I am missing. The slotted end simply fit behind the sear spring forcing the spring inward when the bar was pulled back. No need for a separate mounting for the trigger bar. Would never have thought of this. LOL THANK YOU Wulf !!!!

Rick

AIOtmp (Medium).jpg
Baltic Lock Detail 2 (Medium).jpg
Baltic Lock 2 (Medium).jpg
Baltic Lock 1 (Medium).jpg

Rick,
You are not crippled in the hands. Go make the piece! It's not a hard thing to do.

Glad Wulf solved the problem. Now I see it, I recall seeing it before! No need to pin it i or anything!
Yes, I was thinking: Where is the mounting to pin fasten the trigger bar ? Similar to my Swedish lock here. As you mention, in this case a mounting is not necessary. What I find so funny is that Wulf comes up with the answer near 4 years later. LOL Shows you how valuable a Forum like this can be.

Here's the mounting on my Swedish lock:

Rick

DSC00298 (Medium).JPG

How about this? Send/email me ‘rough’ measurements and I’ll send you a blank or one you can finish file to fit …
Hi Flint

I would send the lock to make it easier to make and fit a finished part. Unfortunately, I have a case of Neuropathy in my legs. But it sometimes causes a slight hand numbness. So my hand skills are not what they use to be. But I am happy to pay for other peoples talent. LOL Since the lock is in new condition, I'm guessing the new part can be polished out to make a pretty close match to the rest of the lock. To fit the new part looks like it just requires the unscrewing of the sear spring.

By the way, I understand you already have more than a handful of projects LOL

Rick

I don't think of it only as a hobby.....I thought it is an educations' quest for knowledge hardly available elsewhere..... with tad of curiosity? If I told my wife it was a hobby....with the amount of time I put into it and cost invested in it....she would say I need another hobby...like flying kites!

I don't think of it only as a hobby.....I thought it is an educations' quest for knowledge hardly available elsewhere..... with tad of curiosity? If I told my wife it was a hobby....with the amount of time I put into it and cost invested in it....she would say I need another hobby...like flying kites!
That’s how I justify my rapidly expanding library to my fiancé, lol! It’s not enough that the guns are expensive, the books are too!

Latest posts

Back