• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

match cord igniters

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mckutzy

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I was looking around earlier about Japanese matchlocks, and i came across this little thing.. http://www.japanese-guns.com/master_guns_web/japanese_matchlock_guns_catalog3.html
from #5 to #13 pics on this page..

Now i have seen other "igniters-tinder lighter" from around the world, but it got me wondering what was used to have fire for matchcord, besides a braizer or flint/steel, I mean globally not just for battle?

Last edited by a moderator:
Would a flint, steel and char box be a start? Candle lantern? Never really thought about it but interested now in what was used.

This is speculation on my part but I think flint and steel would suffice if the cord was nitrated and the end untwisted until it was a fluffy ball. That should work on all but the wettest/humid of days.

to take that a bit further would that lead to the invent of flint and steel as a ignition source?

i have done that, with a flint and a steel, maby it is the steel or the flint technic i have been using.
as for back in the day, i would think that there might have been something other that just a flint/steel.

In that movie where the young priest is wandering about in Canada with a matchlock, we see him desparately trying to light his match with flint and steel. This might work with nitrated cotton cord. But the un-nitrated hemp cord I bought at Ft. Frederick this April I don't think it would. That stuff is hard to light with a barn burner. Once it is lit it is hard to put out. I should try it.
volatpluvia

the only time when i have been able to get any where with the match cord is useing a flintstriker for a torch, now as far as the pc or historicalness well thats out. but if they had something like this back in the day i would think that match lock would have been a short fad. i have used a flint on nitre cord i have, good stuff it is, but i cant light it. oh well.

Mckutzy,
I just went out to try it. I think my striker steel is too hard. I really have a hard time knocking sparks off it. This is really distressing because I see other guys making a nice easy stroke and getting a nice shower of sparks. Before I leave for the Rifle Frolic on Friday, I think I will flash a little fire on it to see if I can make it spark better. I couldn't get any of the sparks I struck to land on the end of the purposely frayed end of my nitrated cotton cord.
volatpluvia

What about a burning lense? Works great to light my pipe, I am sure it would set cord and match alight as well....

Just does not work on a cloudy day,..

my "steel" is a file w/o teeth, so its pretty hard, i threw it on the ground to break the piece i needed. i had been able to get sparks from the steel using the piece of flint, but like u, havent been able to get a light from it. it is a well nitre cotton braided sash cord, on one end frayed to a fine fluff for my trials, not even a slightest glimmer of a light. oh well, maby its one of those things that they thought to speek of back in the day .

Just a question, but would the cord capture a spark better
with the flint & steel if it is charred?

Tinker2

Hmn, maybe we should try it.
I thought my striker should be softer, so I heated it to blue. Then is was too soft. So I heated it to red and dunked it in room temperature water. Had a hard time getting sparks off it. So I heated it until it just sarted to turn orange. Now I get sparks with great effort but not every strike and they are still small and not numerous. But then my flints are soft and brittle.
volatpluvia

ahhh yes the never ending battle to make fire, one of mans life long strugles,

as for the match cord, i will try to light the charred bit i have and see how that works.

the burning lens,im no expert but i would think that is somewhat a newer invention like around 1800's or so .

well that mabe the secret to fire....charcoal.. or a chared match cord.

DSC09077.jpg

I struck a light from a file and a piece of flint, a number of strikes but it took pretty well, i guess like charcloth or other tinder lighting material it needed to be burnt a bit. I could see this as a start to my answer to the op of mine. a flint and steel and a charred end to a matchcord. When i build my matchlock i will bring a flint/steel to the range with me. honestly i pretty stoked about this.

Tinker2 said:
Just a question, but would the cord capture a spark better
with the flint & steel if it is charred?

Tinker2

Good question Tink2. Figured I'd jump in before I go parasailing with Gustav. A charred cord will definitely catch quicker than uncharred. Charred cloth is wonderful tinder. That time period most soldiers carried a tinder or candle box. Lucifers/matches had yet to be invented. So flint and steel were the zippo's/bic's of the day.

cp.gif

I'll bet if you wrapped charcloth around the end of the match you could light it in no time. I saw a guy light a candle with flint and steel that way. Real long wick, wrapped with char cloth, a couple of sparks and poof, light.

Many Klatch

I think maybe your suggestion was missed. I can
gather you mean using a cord that has been
chard. Like a nitrated cord being chard?? Worth
a try. But it might be too fragile...I don't
know..............

well that was exactly what I had done, took some match cord I had that was charred and i struck a light to it.

Mckutzy,
It occurs to me that instead of cutting the burning end of your cord off when done with it, you could do a rolling crush until the fire is out. Then the end would be left charred for lighting the next time.
Good Job!
volatpluvia

actualy I use a cf case to extinguish my cord, the last time I used my cord I was lighting my pipe. it makes a perfect coal to strike a light to. I am going to have to make a proper steel soon, my chunk of nicholson is hard to hold.

Back