• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Maple or walnut stain on fowler?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micah Clark

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I am building a Chambers PA Fowler ... the stock is pretty plain with just a little curl on the forestock.

I am considering LMF maple or walnut stain ... can't decide if I want it dark or reddish ... I don't think I'll finish the barrel.

Any thoughts on a color fir this style ? It's My first smoothbore.

Pics welcome

I've got AquaFortis, but was afraid to use it on my first build, as I had a specific color I wanted in mind . (used LMF Lancaster maple stain).

If you want the curl to pop I would use aqua fortis, I used minwax oak and cherry stains and while they look good they don't bring the curl out like the aqua fortis

Mac1967 said:
I've got AquaFortis, but was afraid to use it on my first build, as I had a specific color I wanted in mind . (used LMF Lancaster maple stain).
Why ask if you'd already made up your mind...?

If you have a specific "look" that you want to achieve, the only way to be sure of results beforehand is to test various stains/acids/finishes on scraps of the stock wood.

I have used aqua forte but never got good results. Others I have seen and many poste are just beautiful. I do like LMF walnut that's a very present color much like European walnut. Somewhat lighter and reder. Will bring out curl but not as well as a well done aqua forte.

Sorry guys my head cold may have the best of my brain.

I had another rifle that I used LMF stain on because I wanted a certain color for it when I built it .. not so for this one which is my second build...but my first fowler and smoothbore ... I was thinking of either LNF Maple or Walnut - two very different colors ... but AF is what many here have recommended on maple.

Back