• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

MAP for barrel cleaning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bs I mixed a batch years ago advised by another skirmisher got a drop of the mix on my new 63 Shiloh sharps now I have a star shape eaten thru the blueing. No thanks I’ll stuck w water and dish soap
Then you mixed it wrong. I've been using it for 20-years in both my longrifles and never had a problem. I did a LOT of reenactments from about 1999 through 2015 in both Vermont and Virginia, where I would typically fire 50-120 blank rounds per weekend. Not so much here in Washington state because there aren't very many opportunities.

Of course we use blank rounds at the reenactments. Blank rounds foul a barrel a LOT more than live rounds with ball and patch to wipe the barrel when you fire, so I always cleaned my rifle at the end of the day and I always used MAP mixed exactly as I posted. I was shown how to do that by a flintlock gun builder in our unit. I've never had any rust problems with either of my longrifles. Before I pickled the barrel on my first longrifle (Traditions Pennsylvania Longrifle) it had a blued finish and I never had any trouble with the bluing. There's really nothing caustic enough in that mixture to eat through a blued finish so I have no clue what your problem was. Sorry to hear about it.

Nonetheless, water and dish soap works or just plain water by itself, and if that's what you like to use, more power to you. Use what you like. The OP's question was on mixing, storing and using it, not what else to use. So I tried to answer his question.

t"here is no horse so dear that it cannot continue to be beaten"
Prof. Marvel
Pray continue to beat.
my best advise
Bunk

Latest posts

Back